USB 3/3.1 or SATA speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
dirac99

USB 3/3.1 or SATA speed

Post by dirac99 »

All - fairly simple question, but haven't found the right or clear answer:

What is faster -- USB 3, 3.1 or SATA(internal) 6Gb/s? (for ripping)

I can go internal or external and have two systems with the WH16NS40 and WH16NS60.

THanks!
Woodstock

Re: USB 3/3.1 or SATA speed

Post by Woodstock »

Given that you're talking speed for ripping, it doesn't matter - all exceed the maximum bandwidth of a UHD drive. In fact, USB2 is faster than the drive.

SATA has the advantage of being "native" to the drive, so you can do things like flashing the firmware, which not all USB interfaces allow. But, it's also limiting in that motherboards have limited numbers of SATA ports.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mkvfanclub

Post by mkvfanclub »

What I can say is that MakeMKV crashed (more than once) when I tried to plug 3 USB drives into the same USB port using a 4-in-1 USB hub.

But now I plug the 3 USB drives into 3 USB ports (without a hub) and MakeMKV hasn't crashed since.

I would probably prefer SATA and use internal drives but I didn't want my computer filled with optical drives because (a) I never use them except when ripping (b) they block airflow which increases heat (c) I cannot switch them off or unplug them easily and (d) I may add more hard drives in future so I will need the SATA ports to be available.

On the plus side, internal drives would be neater.
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

So far my experience with USB 3, Internal SATA or eSATA were Okay. The ripping speeds are similar.