Rip successful only when I clicked start immediately

Everything related to MakeMKV
Fortissimo

Rip successful only when I clicked start immediately

Post by Fortissimo »

I mentioned this in a recent post about Game of Thrones 4K, but I felt this issue needed a separate thread since this appears to be a MakeMKV issue and not a disc or drive issue.

In a nutshell, I was able to successfully rip a GOT 4K disc only because I clicked on the start button very quickly. If I had waited about 30 seconds, what always happened is that while I was typing in track information, selecting output folder, etc. (after MakeMKV already successfully scanned the disc and brought up the track list), the drive would spin as fast as possible, slow down to nothing, spin as fast as possible, slow down to nothing, and then (even if I was in the middle of typing a track title) all the information would go away with MakeMKV suddenly deciding like there was no disc (or a blank disc) in the drive. People cannot tell me that my drive or disc need cleaning, because if that were true, clicking to start the ripping process should have eventually produced a similar error, or at the very least corrupt files. But neither happened. Successfully ripping the 4K content or not relied upon how quickly I pushed the start button.
Billycar11

Re: Rip successful only when I clicked start immediately

Post by Billycar11 »

If this is happening on multiple disks your drive is defective but that rapidly speeding up and down is what alot if my defective NS60s do. Cleaning the laser may save the drive but I would say it's a 50/50 chance.
I know defective drive is the last thing you want to hear but trust me I know there are a lot out there I just got 4 in a row :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Bluntman

Post by Bluntman »

Almost sounds like the sleep bug. But 30 seconds is far to quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fortissimo

Post by Fortissimo »

It isn't happening with multiple discs. It was just that one disc. I've seen in other threads that people have had problems with GOT season 8 4K, so I understand the disc probably leaves something to be desired when it comes to quality. But evidently the quality of the disc was high enough that it was able to be ripped without any errors.

I just googled "makemkv sleep bug." Interesting. I do recall past times when my drive spun really fast, so maybe my drive has this. However, this was the first time ever (after ripping probably at least 70 4K discs so far) when a supposedly idle drive "took action" that affected what one expects to be a static MakeMKV interface.

Also note that this issue came up in well under a minute. It definitely didn't take 2 minutes as the sleep bug is described to take. I can't imagine my drive is going to sleep in 40 or 50 seconds?
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Fortissimo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:48 pm

I just googled "makemkv sleep bug." Interesting. I do recall past times when my drive spun really fast, so maybe my drive has this. However, this was the first time ever (after ripping probably at least 70 4K discs so far) when a supposedly idle drive "took action" that affected what one expects to be a static MakeMKV interface.
Is not a MakeMKV sleep bug, it is the drive, if that's what you're experiencing.
Although, seems to me, if Mike put an option in the software to toggle on, he could poll the drive every so often to keep it awake. Is that not a possibility Mike?