BD Drive Speed gets stuck at 2x

Everything related to MakeMKV
Krawk

BD Drive Speed gets stuck at 2x

Post by Krawk »

Is it a software or hardware issue (or software on the hardware!) when trying to rip a BD and the speed goes no greater than 2x? It might be coincidence but I can read a bunch of titles at a high speed, 8x etc, then suddenly I insert a disc and the drive seems to go no faster than 2x. Every disc I try afterwards also goes at 2x.
Pioneer BDR-208 firmware v1.50, Windows 10 x64.
Woodstock

Re: BD Drive Speed gets stuck at 2x

Post by Woodstock »

Pioneer drives can slip into "quiet mode" that speed-limits them to about 2X when reading video. It's supposed to keep the drive quiet when playing movies. It can be turned off, but it shouldn't turn itself back on for only certain disks...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:21 am
Pioneer drives can slip into "quiet mode" that speed-limits them to about 2X when reading video. It's supposed to keep the drive quiet when playing movies. It can be turned off, but it shouldn't turn itself back on for only certain disks...
That makes sense. When I installed the latest firmware I ran a utility that was supposed to disable that mode.
Exiting the program and going back in seems to reset the mode to performance mode.
Maybe my utility is obsolete? Got a link to one that works?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Sorry - I only recently found out that I have a Pioneer drive (MakeMKV told me), so I haven't looked for the utility. It makes sense that a firmware update would reset the flag, but the existing utility should continue work for toggling it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

I re-ran the utility, and it is set to performance mode. See my attachment.
When I sought a firmware update, I think I ended up on Pioneer Japan's site. I had version 1.20 or something at the time, Japan's site had 1.50. I downloaded the drive utility from the same site.
Pionnner USA has firmware for the BDR-208M, but Japan had one for the BDR-2208. When I did some research, the extra 2 was inserted for a retail box, the drive would be the same drive otherwise. I did take precautions such as backing up the firmware just in case, but the flasher saw the drive and was happy with what it saw, and the drive still reads 208 as it is supposed to. So I have to wonder if something in the software isn't triggering quiet mode.

I will do some more experimenting when I go from disc to disc. Maybe there's something in there I can reproduce the issue with. (Usually I swap discs, and as the tray is closing, I hit the OK prompt on MakeMKV that it completed the previous disc. The screen animation updates that the tray on the drive is closing. Maybe I should try pressing OK before even ejecting the current complete disc, then insert a new one)
pioneer drive mode.jpg
pioneer drive mode.jpg (97.53 KiB) Viewed 9080 times
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

[Edit] -- Just now, inserted an old title with AACS v7, the rip was stuck at 2X. The pre-rip, I heard the drive come up to speed.
Anyway, I ejected the disc, let the process error out, reinserted the disc, and now it is already going at 8x.
Frustrating to not know what is causing it.
I guess when I click the go button, if I don't hear it coming up to speed, abort it, eject it and try again.

Here's the Pioneer Japan site...

https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/i ... 01r_e.html
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Today's report, thus far:
First disc, stuck at 2X. Exited program and restarted 3 times til it decided to go an unrestricted speed.
Discs 2-5 or so, Unrestricted speed
Disc 6 - 2X, exited again and resumed
Discs 7-20 (ish) - no issues with unrestricted speed

Appears to be no specific pattern really.

Is not easy to point the finger at any one thing. Is it the program and its direct access, or is it a firmware issue?