Custom filenames

Everything related to MakeMKV
mkvfanclub

Custom filenames

Post by mkvfanclub »

Please add an option to set the filename format.

It can be as simple as an extra textbox (under the output folder textbox) where you can enter a filename prefix, so instead of just calling the file the generic name of 'title_t00.mkv', I could enter a prefix of 'BoA-' so the filename becomes 'BoA-title_t00.mkv'. This will instantly tell me which disc the files are from.

So if I put in a disc 'Terminator 2', I can just enter 'T2-' and the filenames will then be 'T2-title_t00.mkv', 'T2-title_t01.mkv', etc. So I will instantly know the files are from Terminator 2.

Massively useful but quite simple to implement. I can understand why a complete filename replacement would be problematic both for you as developer and me as user. But a filename prefix system should be easy to develop and easy to use.

I rip 3 discs at the same time using 3 drives but when all 3 discs are ripped, all the filenames for each disc are identical so I forget which files belong to which disc.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Custom filenames

Post by Woodstock »

You can set up a file naming template if you have Expert mode enabled. It's on the Advanced tab of preferences.

Also, if you modify the the "name" field while the top level of the disk selected in the left window, MakeMKV will cascade that to all tracks that have not been manually changed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mkvfanclub

Re: Custom filenames

Post by mkvfanclub »

Thanks. Yes, I can see that but it doesn't really help.

I don't want to set the filename permanently until I change it again. I just want to set it for the current disc. So I want to keep the filenames as they are but just add a prefix for the current disc.

Also, if I change the name there in preferences, it will apply to other copies of MakeMKV that I have running at the same time because the settings are unfortunately stored centrally.

I would much prefer a prefix textbox which could be available as soon as I put in a disc (before scanning). So I can instantly enter the name of the film as a prefix, click scan and start ripping with that prefix. The prefix should not be saved anywhere since it would only apply and be relevant to the disc I am currently ripping.

Example, I put in a disc 'Terminator 2'. I don't want to go into preferences and prefix the filename template with 'T2' and have that applied to other copies of MakeMKV (both currently running and future copies). I just want to enter 'T2-' into a prefix textbox as soon as I have put the disc in, start scanning and start ripping with the filenames containing 'T2' prefix so I know instantly what they are.