Enter output folder name before initial scan

Everything related to MakeMKV
mkvfanclub

Enter output folder name before initial scan

Post by mkvfanclub »

Hi,
So the problem is that to rip a disc, you put the disc into the drive, click the initial scan button, wait for that to complete (which could take a long time if it's a complex disc) and finally you are presented with the list of titles. Only at this point can you enter the output folder name.

The problem is that by the time MakeMKV reaches this point, I sometimes forget which disc I have told it to scan so I forget what to call the folder name.

This problem is much worse with multiple drives. If I put 3 discs in 3 drives and scan them all, the scan can take up to half an hour for complex discs and by the time I see the output folder box, I forget which disc is in which drive.

So I would like to suggest that the output folder textbox be made available as soon as the disc is put into the drive, before any scanning takes place. Then I can put the disc in, enter the name of the disc straight away, start scanning and then ripping. No need to worry about forgetting the output folder name.
Grauhaar

Re: Enter output folder name before initial scan

Post by Grauhaar »

Have you checked under perferences -> "Video" the "Semi Auto" option which uses automaticaly the disc name as the folder name ...? I like this feature :)
Good Luck :)

Post by mkvfanclub »

Thanks.

That doesn't help too much though because some discs (some TV series I have tried) use a generic name (such as DVD Movie).

Of course, using semi-automatic would mean that the folder name is instantly set before scanning, so that's a definite time-saver and nice to have, but if the name is generic then it just means more work. I won't realise it's using a generic name until it starts ripping, then I have to cancel and change the setting back to manual naming, then enter the correct name and remember to change it back to semi-automatic afterwards.

It's just a lot more hassle than a simple 'What do you want to call the folder?' textbox that could appear as soon as I put the disc in the drive.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Hmm, I think you are alone with your "problem"

Yes, some series uses a generic name, but you can override it by appendig an 1 or 2 oder whatever. I've never had a problem with this and I use two drives and can remember what disc is in drive 1 or 2.
Good Luck :)

Post by mkvfanclub »

I guess I can live with ripping each DVD to its own folder. And I can specify that folder name in MakeMKV. At least then I know where the files came from. I can then use Explorer to multi-rename all the files and that's very easy to do.

So this isn't so much of a major problem.

But what would be REALLY useful is to be able to enter the output folder name as soon as I put the disc in the drive (I know I can enter that in preferences but that's no use, it needs to be disc specific as I run multiple MakeMKV instances and the discs change regularly).

As of now, I cannot specify an output folder for a particular disc until the initial scan is done and that can take 30 minutes or even longer. So it would be good if I could put the disc in the drive and instantly amend the output folder with the disc title. I don't really see any problem or downside to this suggestion. The output folder box is already there, it's just I think it would be better if I could see it before the disc scan starts.