Does a type of HDD make a difference for 4K movies?

Everything related to MakeMKV
tatts4Life

Does a type of HDD make a difference for 4K movies?

Post by tatts4Life »

So I was reading on another forum where someone was ripping their 4K movies to a WD red 6TB dive which is the exact same I have. Another person brought up a concern that the 5400rpm speed of the drive would be too slow and maybe cause buffering. I've owned 3 for around 4 years and Blu-ray's play just fine. Would the 4K version be any different? I know this is probably a stupid question since my Blu-ray rips play fine so why would 4K rips be different, right? I guess the reason I'm freaking out is because I discovered one of my drives has several sectors that are unreadable and would hate to have to replace all drives if 4K movies would buffer.
Grauhaar

Re: Does a type of HDD make a difference for 4K movies?

Post by Grauhaar »

tatts4Life wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:18 pm
Another person brought up a concern that the 5400rpm speed of the drive would be too slow and maybe cause buffering.
Pure nonsens! A normal Blu-ray has a data rate of max 36Mbit/s (4,5 MB/s), a 4K Disc has a data rate of max. 100MBit/s (approx 12 MB/s). Each actual HDD can read/write data with at least 100 MB/s, up to 200 MB/s and more, the actual SATA ports can handle 6Gbit/s (approx 700MB/s). The limiting factor is the Network speed (WLAN !!) or CPU power to decode the video stream.
Good Luck :)

Re: Does a type of HDD make a difference for 4K movies?

Post by tatts4Life »

hahaha I told you it was a stupid question. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on here and have my worries put to rest. Thanks