1.15 install balked on MakeMKV directory

Everything related to MakeMKV
yorick

1.15 install balked on MakeMKV directory

Post by yorick »

Installing 1.15 over 1.14.7 on Win10, I was prompted for 1.14.7 uninstall, which was successful. After that, 1.15.0 install failed with a note that C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV was not empty.

The directory was indeed empty, but could not be removed, as it was "in use by another program".

I logged out and back in.

1.15.0 still complained that MakeMKV was not empty.

I deleted the directory - no more errors about being "in use" this time - and restarted the 1.15.0 installer, which then completed successfully.

If there are install logs somewhere, point me towards them and I will upload them to allow you to track this down.

Great job on 1.15.0 btw! New logo, new VLC integration - am I smelling a path out of beta?
Woodstock

Re: 1.15 install balked on MakeMKV directory

Post by Woodstock »

"Another user" could be Explorer. Even when you close an Explorer window, it's still running (it IS the GUI, after all), so some of its locks might not disappear.

Also, if you edit any of the MakeMKV profiles, make sure you save them in your MakeMKV data directory, rather than the program directory. Putting them in the program directory can screw up permissions for installing/removing.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
yorick

Re: 1.15 install balked on MakeMKV directory

Post by yorick »

Could have been explorer. As I say, the directory was empty, or appeared to be so: I did not go hunting for hidden files or desktop.ini copies or anything like that. Even after resolving the "in use" error, installer still complained that the directory wasn't empty. Deleting the directory resolved the issue.