makemkv hangs when starting up

Everything related to MakeMKV
gamestar

makemkv hangs when starting up

Post by gamestar »

When I start makemkv, I see scanning device: SPT1\:Device\CdRom0 under information but that's all. It never goes any further and all the options under File are grayed out. I saw some other posts talking about a problem with having SATA set to AHCI but I"ve verified in BIOS that it is set to IDE. I"ve installed it on my main PC and it works fine so it has something to do with this machine. I have a Pioneer Blu-Ray drive and a Asus P5Q-EM motherboard. I"ve had it running while typing this post and it is currently at 9:03 and still scanning. Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks
mike admin

Re: makemkv hangs when starting up

Post by mike admin »

We've never seen such hung. What OS are you running?
gamestar

Post by gamestar »

I'm running Vista home premium.
gamestar

Post by gamestar »

Any ideas on this problem? I've downloaded v1.4.1 and still having the same issue.

Also, I was unable to convert the movie Signs. This is a standard DVD, not HD. I can't remember what the error was but I can get it for you when I get home. Also, just so you know, I'm using makemkv against files stored on my computer and not the actual DVD. I've already ripped my DVDs to harddrive using DVDShrink to rip the main movie only and store it in standard DVD format. I'm using makemkv to convert them to mkv format. I've done about 50 so far and this is the only one that's been a problem.

Finally, I have several titles (mostly music videos) with audio in LPCM format. I saw in the post on doom9 that you plan to support that at some point. I was just wondering if this is something that's actively being worked on or is it more like something to be done eventually when time permits?

Thanks.
gamestar

Post by gamestar »

OK, now I have 2 that failed. Here's what's shown in the bottom window for each:

Signs
Opening files on harddrive at I:/Movies/Signs/VIDEO_TS/
Cell 24 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #0 was added (23 cell(s), 1:45:48)
Operation sucessfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory I:/Movies/Signs
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: MKV_ASSERT: (m_MarksCount==m_ChapterMarks.size()) || ((m_MarksCount+1)==m_ChapterMarks.size())
Failed to save title 0 to file I:/Movies/Signs/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Unbreakable:
Opening files on harddrive at C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/newpc/Movies/Unbreakable/VIDEO_TS/
Title #0 was added (35 cell(s), 1:45:30)
Operation sucessfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/newpc/Movies/Unbreakable
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: MKV_ASSERT: (m_MarksCount==m_ChapterMarks.size()) || ((m_MarksCount+1)==m_ChapterMarks.size())
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/newpc/Movies/Unbreakable/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Problem noted.
gamestar

Post by gamestar »

I tried converting the Signs DVD using mkvmerge and got the following warning. I don't know if this has anything to do with makemkv having a problem with this title.

Warning: 'C:\SIGNS\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB' track 1: This AC3 track contains 1120 bytes of non-AC3 data which were skipped. The audio/video synchronization may have been lost.
mongo

Post by mongo »

gamestar wrote:When I start makemkv, I see scanning device: SPT1\:Device\CdRom0 under information but that's all. It never goes any further and all the options under File are grayed out. I saw some other posts talking about a problem with having SATA set to AHCI but I"ve verified in BIOS that it is set to IDE. I"ve installed it on my main PC and it works fine so it has something to do with this machine. I have a Pioneer Blu-Ray drive and a Asus P5Q-EM motherboard. I"ve had it running while typing this post and it is currently at 9:03 and still scanning. Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks
I have exactly the same problem...
Running Win XP, SATA is set to IDE, Pioneer Bluray and also a Asus motherboard.
Looks like Any-dvd crashes att the same time, and my computer stops responding.

Any ideas?
homerzero

Post by homerzero »

gamestar wrote:When I start makemkv, I see scanning device: SPT1\:Device\CdRom0 under information but that's all. It never goes any further and all the options under File are grayed out. I saw some other posts talking about a problem with having SATA set to AHCI but I"ve verified in BIOS that it is set to IDE Any idea what could be the problem?
i have the same problem this morning (stalling when scanning cd devices ) MakeMKV was running fine yesterday . i am running win XP sp3 .i have even done a repair install of windows Xp and MakeMKV still stalls .
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is not good, but I can't see what can be done to identify the problem. Does it happen regardless of the disc inserted?
heistruett

Post by heistruett »

Same problem:
Scanning device: SPTI:\Device\CdRom0 ...

System: all AMD
4850e, Gigabyte GA790, Harddisks driven in RAID5 Mode (Chipset Promise RAID), so I cannot change the Bios Settings for Sata-Rom DRive, Pioneer 216
no BluRay device, BluRay was ripped to file tructure at a service station
BS: Windows 7 RC 7100, 64-bit
MakeMKV: 1.4.6

two visible processes:
makemkv.exe *32, 0% CPU
makemkvcon.exe *32 0% CPU

Canceling makemkv quits only makemkv.exe, makemkvcon.exe remains.

Sarting and stopping makemkv several times recieves several processes makemkvcon.exe staying in memory and waiting for the great blow...