Central subtitle rip/don't rip info???

Everything related to MakeMKV
Krawk

Central subtitle rip/don't rip info???

Post by Krawk »

Is there a thread or google doc somewhere that indicates which subtitle tracks should be carried along when a rip is made?
Literally every disc that has subtitles, when inserted will often have half a dozen or more subtitle tracks selected by MakeMKV, and they usually say (forced only) in the description. But if you watch the movie, not once do you see the subtitle track so why are they selected?

On the flip side of things, you have to knowingly select subtitle tracks on certain movies for them to play correctly. The other day I watched 30 Days of Night and observed when the vampires speak, there is a subtitle track that is played. Fortunately in the case of this movie, makeMKV did select one of them, and of course it was a (forced only) track, but I had to delete 5 others as they were not relevant. I had to give them unique names with Toolnix, watch the scene several times with a different track selected, then delete and remux the tracks I did not need.

Perhaps the trickiest subtitle tracks are in the Star Wars movies. There's even threads about these ones specifically.

I know that subtitle tracks themselves take little space, even less space if you use Toolnix to remux them, but if I do not need them I deselect them from the rip. But I also would like to know if I do need a track rather than having to revisit the disc later to correct it.
Krawk

Re: Central subtitle rip/don't rip info???

Post by Krawk »

This seems to be the most complete list I have seen but based on what I see for (forced only) tracks during ripping, it is still not full.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... k/htmlview
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Krawk wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:52 pm
But if you watch the movie, not once do you see the subtitle track so why are they selected?
Because of the default settings of MakeMKV. You can set them according to your needs.

How to disable automatic subtitles
hxxps://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21730
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

There is no automatic way to know what kind of "text" is in the subtitle tracks. Also the selection depends on the used player (Hard or Soft), some respects the mkv header flags (default and/or forced), others play always the first subttle track.

The best way is to list the mkv file content with "MediaInfo" and look at the "Elementcount" numbers. For Blu-rays divide the number by 2 (I think the reason is, that are two Elementblocks are needed for one subtitle), for DVD the number is good. If the count is low, it is in most cases the forced track, so you can easy identify forced, normal, hearing subtitles. After this load the file in MKVToolNIX, deselect what is not needed, change the order, set the flags (Default, forced) and remuxx the file.
Good Luck :)

Post by Chetwood »

Nice find! I've just checked this and it seems to be accurate

PGS1:
1836 items in Mediainfo
917 items in BDSup2Sub

PGS2:
40 items in Mediainfo
20 items in BDSup2Sub

Looks like yet another method for Mike to implement an automatic recognition of forced subs that aren't flagged.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch