Using multiple drives at the same time with makemkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
Cushy11

Using multiple drives at the same time with makemkv

Post by Cushy11 »

Is it possible to use all 3 of my drives at the same time whne using makemkv? Since I have a large collection of movies to rip, it would be much faster if I could use all 3 drives and have 3 different makemkv sessions open simultaneously. I have a 2.67mHz quad-core processor with 12GB of RAM so I believe my computer can handle it. Thanks
Muzer

Re: Using multiple drives at the same time with makemkv

Post by Muzer »

Why not give it a try? I have no idea whether or not it will work, but you may as well try it.
servocrow

Post by servocrow »

i think it can work but you most likley wouldnt be able to do anything else on your pc while it was transcoding.

I have a decent PC and MAKEMKV will literally use whatever you have, however I tend to make it easier/ or harder on myself as I tend to rip the BRs using Anydvd first, then run them through MAKEMKV, with no reading limitations speeds etc from the BR drive being a factor doin fit this way it literally FLOORS my ram and CPU while transcoding. If you are in fact using DRIVES then most likley your system would not be as taxed.

one bit of advice, make sure you set the MKVs to drop in there own folder, not just on your desktop.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

I'm just curious if cushy is talking about ripping from 3 optical drives or using 3 hd or what?

I've never had a chain of optical drives so I don't know the performance characteristics.
mrwilby

Post by mrwilby »

Works fine. I have 7 drives ripping simultaneously. No issues, besides some minor UI annoyances I already wrote to Mike about... Mike indicated he would consider fixing/adding support for the things I requested, liked auto-ejecting the disk on success and making sure each drive lists the volume name of the movie being ripped. With 7 drives, keeping track of which drive had which disk is a bit complex.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

You might want to adjust how much memory should MakeMKV use, as by default it could use up to 2GB per instance. Normally, 1GB is enough so for 3 drives you would need at least 4GB of ram.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

Mike, I have never bothered to mess around with the buffer size, so a few questions -
1) when you use auto does Makemkv use the maximum it can get? or how does it calculate the figure?
2) Would there be any benefit from increasing beyond 2GB (assuming you changed the program to use more) e.g. on my laptop I have 8GB to play with so.... :?:

regards

tony
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

twa000 wrote:1) when you use auto does Makemkv use the maximum it can get? or how does it calculate the figure?
1/4th of a physical RAM size or 512MB, whichever is smaller.
twa000 wrote:2) Would there be any benefit from increasing beyond 2GB (assuming you changed the program to use more) e.g. on my laptop I have 8GB to play with so.... :?:
You'll likely won't see any difference between 1GB and 2GB. But do increase buffer size to 1GB if you have enough ram, as in your case.