title order / output filename / segment map

Everything related to MakeMKV
WKjun

title order / output filename / segment map

Post by WKjun »

Hello!

There has been some discussion about matters like this in the past years, but I coudn't find a solution for me using MakeMKV GUI. Maybe you can give me a hint what I could do, or have overlooked. :|

There are a lot of old TV series out now on Blu-ray which I already own on DVD. The DVDs weren't a problem at any time. The order of the titles MakeMKV found matched the episodes on the disc in the correct order.

But on Blu-ray with its multiple playlists and other differences, it is no use because the title numbers are random (?) instead of the sequence it would be watched.
The worst case was the Batman 60s series, with its 12 episodes a disc, showing each twice and in random order was kind of horrible to manage afterwards.

Suddenly I have realized that there is a unique segment map number where I could at least uncheck duplicates before going on. This helped, but the main problem remained, because I couldn't find a template variable to name the output files after the segment number, which should, in theory, be the correct order as it would be watched. No guarantee I suppose, but maybe good enough to begin with.

In case there is a playlist "play all", the segment map numbers are in their correct order, like the show UFO for instance has: 0, 1, 2, 3, 7
So why would MakeMKV come up with an initial sorting like this - it starts with 3:

Title: t00
Source file name: 00003.mpls
Segment map: 3

Title: t01
Source file name: 00002.mpls
Segment map: 2

Title: t02
Source file name: 00001.mpls
Segment map: 1

Title: t03
Source file name: 00000.mpls
Segment map: 0

[...]

Title: t06
Source file name: 00007.mpls
Segment map: 7

Title sorting is not a big deal, but if I don't have the "magic number" in the name, I have to look into every episode to see what's in there and rename it.

Thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: title order / output filename / segment map

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV doesn't sort the file names... It displays them in the order they appear in the directory. Many (including me) have asked for the option of sorting by source file name, but it has not come to be.

There is also the issue that a lot of m2ts and mpls file names would be interspersed if you sort strictly by file name.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Read also this thread: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20327

Work's very well on all of my Blu-rays. The mpls <> episode number sequence is always ascending, so if yow know the series episodes numbers on a specific disc you can easy sort it.
Good Luck :)

Post by Grauhaar »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:49 pm
MakeMKV doesn't sort the file names...
There is also the issue that a lot of m2ts and mpls file names would be interspersed if you sort strictly by file name.
The "title" number assignment to an mpls or m2ts is not optimal ans should be changed to the mpls and m2ts naming. If the sorting every comes, it should be separated into two part. The first section mpls related and the second section m2ts related, maybe on a differnet window/tab. In most cases (99,9%) only the mpls part is needed.

Post by mike admin »

Well, you can put all sorts of crap into output file name, including m2ts/mpls id - please see https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 10&t=18313
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Hi Mike,
I know, this works except the source number is not unique if the MPLS and M2TS IDs are the same. It would be nice to have an f.e {ST} (Source Type) identifier which can be set to MPLS, M2TS, VOB. Or the {SN} identifier includes already this type information to avoid the problem. With the {ST} identifier the file name can with {-ST}{-SN} made unique.

But the discussion was about the currently not sorted GUI title list. At least the first MPLS block is not sorted, but it looks like that the (not often used) M2TS block is. So it is sometimes hard to find the correct title if the MPLS number is already known.