Hard drive pulses while program is idle

Everything related to MakeMKV
jelskein

Hard drive pulses while program is idle

Post by jelskein »

:? Past few days I have been leaving makeMKV open after ripping DVDs on occasion. I have noticed the hard drive pulsing continuously until the program is shut down. maybe a little bit of wear and tear on the drive without notice.

Additionally, windows WMI provider host has been using an unusually large amount of resources as of late until I perform a full restart of the PC. I don't see a relation to makeMKV with the WMI. But I am wondering what MKV is repetitively seeking on the hard drive while there are designated folders set?

The only other instance of this happening was with Origin from EA games. This was caused by a seek error in the program during development; often the program would "forget the folder location" and rerun the allocated drive and folder location code over and over causing the hard drive to be constantly running and high ram usage.

Not pointing fingers here, easy to shut down the program for it to stop, and I wanted to leave a side note for the developer(s).

More curious if anyone has noticed or has the same issue?

There is no showing of virus activity on my PC. No persistent usage of the ethernet adapter, windows call to the updater more often, I have been doing a consistent amount of work with virus protection and windows to find the problem with the WMI provider host which seems to correlate with windows update only. I guess in a way windows is a virus with their features and persistent updates.

Great Program, haven't had an issue. Hope this is informative and may correct an early issue.
Woodstock

Re: Hard drive pulses while program is idle

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have separate status lights for each drive on your SATA controller?

Have you opened the Resource Monitor, to see what files MakeMKV has open?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging