Newbie question about FW dump file

Everything related to MakeMKV
jekslein

Newbie question about FW dump file

Post by jekslein »

Hello,

New member here, but been lurking for a while. Love Makemkv. Please take mercy on me if my question is too obvious, but yesterday I was backing up my blu ray and during the direct disc access mode I got the following message:

Saved FW dump file as ---------
Please send the file (---------) to support@makemkv.com

Now I was under the impression that this type of message is usually due to a new protection that needs to be addressed, but I was still able to rip the movie without issues. I didn't test it yet for playback errors but the process seemed to go as usual.

I just want to know if it's still necessary to submit the file since I was able to back it up or not worry about it?

Thanks in advance
Grauhaar

Re: Newbie question about FW dump file

Post by Grauhaar »

Send the dump, this has been taken to modify the firmware for LibreDrive if possible.
Good Luck :)

Re: Newbie question about FW dump file

Post by Woodstock »

In addition to protection code that hasn't been seen yet, if MakeMKV encounters a drive with firmware that has not been seen before, it asks that you send information to Mike.

These are small files; the actual firmware isn't included in them. As such, you will probably get a message back from Mike telling you how to create a firmware dump.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging