Is It Possible to Add Information in the Blu-ray Before the Movies "Starts?"

Everything related to MakeMKV
StormMeows

Is It Possible to Add Information in the Blu-ray Before the Movies "Starts?"

Post by StormMeows »

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find a thread about this. Is it possible to get the piece before the movie starts where it shows important or interesting information. For instance, on one of my blu-rays I just tried to rip, if I play it with my blu-ray player it will show a message from the studio distributing the blu-ray that "This movie was hard to find and when we did find it the 35mm film was damaged so there will be some really grainy scenes in the movie." It is just an interesting note from the company who makes the blu-ray.

Another example of this would be in movies like Star Wars where it gives you a bunch of information in text before the movie starts. Like in 1969 there was a big war and this caused the Kabal to flee the city... etc etc.

One other thing I was curious about.. Is it possible to get the beginning credits added to the mkv file? To me, this would be where Universal Studies logo pops up on the screen and you get ready for the movie to start :).

In summary, I'm just trying to make sure every bluray movie I do doesn't cut out anything important before the movie starts (mainly text on the screen).

I hope this makes sense. Thanks!
preserve

Re: Is It Possible to Add Information in the Blu-ray Before the Movies "Starts?"

Post by preserve »

Normally everything that is part of the actual movie will be included, such as studio logos. I'm not sure what you're referring to with the Star Wars example.

But any miscellaneous title cards, studio logos, etc. that you're seeing and wanting will be selectable titles on the disc that you can see when MakeMKV shows you all the titles on the disc, and you can rip them separately.

Make sure to lower the default time length that MakeMKV has in the Preferences, under Video and then Options, set the Minimum title length to the minimum number of seconds that you want MakeMKV to detect.

If you want one of these separate things to be part of the same file as the movie itself, you can then join them together using FFmpeg or your program of choice.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate
StormMeows

Re: Is It Possible to Add Information in the Blu-ray Before the Movies "Starts?"

Post by StormMeows »

preserve wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:07 am
Normally everything that is part of the actual movie will be included, such as studio logos. I'm not sure what you're referring to with the Star Wars example.

But any miscellaneous title cards, studio logos, etc. that you're seeing and wanting will be selectable titles on the disc that you can see when MakeMKV shows you all the titles on the disc, and you can rip them separately.

Make sure to lower the default time length that MakeMKV has in the Preferences, under Video and then Options, set the Minimum title length to the minimum number of seconds that you want MakeMKV to detect.

If you want one of these separate things to be part of the same file as the movie itself, you can then join them together using FFmpeg or your program of choice.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate
Thanks for the quick reply! Will FFmpeg encode the video or compress it at all? I do not want to harm the original blu-ray 1:1 quality (audio and video). Thanks
preserve

Post by preserve »

I'm not sure if that's the best link to read up on FFmpeg, it was just the first one I came up with via Google. I don't use FFmpeg very often myself, other members here can elaborate more.

But I can tell you that unlike programs such as Handbrake which are typically used to re-encode video and compress it, FFmpeg is typically used to remux video and audio tracks in the file container (in this case the MKV container), meaning to perform various operations while retaining the original encoded video and audio and not re-encode / compress it.
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

preserve wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:15 am
I'm not sure if that's the best link to read up on FFmpeg, it was just the first one I came up with via Google. I don't use FFmpeg very often myself, other members here can elaborate more.

But I can tell you that unlike programs such as Handbrake which are typically used to re-encode video and compress it, FFmpeg is typically used to remux video and audio tracks in the file container (in this case the MKV container), meaning to perform various operations while retaining the original encoded video and audio and not re-encode / compress it.
I do not think I need this and it will require extra steps . My only concern is for movies like Star Wars, does MakeMKV include the stuff at the beginning where there is just text on a black screen before the movie plays? A lot of that stuff is important in the movie and I know places like Netflix always have them . I'm hoping stuff like this would be included in the main video file each time in MakeMKV? Can you think of any movies where it cut off the beginning of a movie at all where it had pertinent information before the main movie started (like beginning credits)? Thanks!
preserve

Post by preserve »

Anything you saw in the movie theatre (such as opening credits / title sequences) will be part of the movie itself.

I might have a movie or two where there is some kind of title card with some information about the Blu-ray presentation of the movie, such as the example you gave about the notice re: the damaged film, but I find it's a rare exception. That's not part of the movie which is why it's a separate title card. You could just rip it and keep it separately for reference, and not bother with joining the two files together, but that's up to you. I always rip everything and then see what to keep and what to discard.
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

preserve wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:52 am
Anything you saw in the movie theatre (such as opening credits / title sequences) will be part of the movie itself.

I might have a movie or two where there is some kind of title card with some information about the Blu-ray presentation of the movie, such as the example you gave about the notice re: the damaged film, but I find it's a rare exception. That's not part of the movie which is why it's a separate title card. You could just rip it and keep it separately for reference, and not bother with joining the two files together, but that's up to you. I always rip everything and then see what to keep and what to discard.
Holy cow!! So you rip the movies like for example (Terminator - I saw this one had a ton of "movies") and even if it has like 10x 50GB movie files? I have seen movies like Terminator where they have 10 different main movies where 1 is theatrical, then directors cut, and then 8 more main movies. I never know which one to select. How do you know what to select or do you literally save all 10 huge files each time? I want to keep the director's cut and theatrical cut on certain movies . Also, what is the true difference in these ones with 8 -10 main movies which the files are the same? Can you really play them and see a difference right away without going through the entire film? Thanks again for the help! I'm just trying to get started with this so I can rip my blu-ray and 4K collection using MakeMKV :).
Last edited by StormMeows on Sat May 02, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preserve

Post by preserve »

No. There are a few diferent reasons for multiple playlists for the main movie, although I don't remember Terminator having a ton of different playlists for the main movie...

Read this thread about Fake Playlist Protection: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16791

Two other common cases:

- If you see just 2 for the main movie and there's no different cuts on the disc such as theatrical vs extended vs director's etc, check the audio/subtitles. One might be English/Spanish/French, and the second one English/Japanese. The movies are the same, but the two setups have been done for different regions.

- Anything owned by Disney, you will often see multiple playlists for the main movie 800, 801, 802, etc. This is when the studio has created localized versions of the movie with different titles (and often things in the movie with text, such as signs), for English, French, Spanish, etc. 800 is always the English.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Also just a tip, please read this thread as well, you don't need to quote the entire reply each time, since the reply is just above, you can quote only if you need to make it clear a specific part you are responding to :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16861
preserve

Post by preserve »

I do consider it an interesting subject though, here's an infamous example of information before the movie starts, and why these things should not be included in the movie itself... in the latest (awful) T2 release, the studio put an (unnecessary credits) notice for the 3D version at the start... and forgot to remove it on the 2D disc :P
Attachments
T2-00_00_24-00001.png
T2-00_00_24-00001.png (87.7 KiB) Viewed 10602 times
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

Thanks so much for all of the awesome information! That's hilarious about that Terminator 3D beginning credit, lol! I am going to fiddle with MakeMKV some more and use the rules you have given me. I'll post back if there is anything weird. :) thanks again!