Understanding Ripping Subtitles from Blu-Rays and UHDs

Everything related to MakeMKV
StormMeows

Re: Understanding Ripping Subtitles from Blu-Rays and UHDs

Post by StormMeows »

You guys rock! So just use MKVtoolnix and make sure to default it and mark it as "forced" as I'm all set after this? MKVtoolnix will not take the .MKV generated by MakeMKV and deteriate any of the original quality right now? I know it says "no compression" for my video and audio file, but just wanted to make sure. Again, thank you guys :)
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

MKVToolnix does not change the content. Setting flags, names etc. can be done with the "MKVToolNIX GUI" Header Editor (left menu, third selection), simply change it and save it. No remux needed to change only header data.
Good Luck :)

Post by StormMeows »

Grauhaar wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:48 pm
MKVToolnix does not change the content. Setting flags, names etc. can be done with the "MKVToolNIX GUI" Header Editor (left menu, third selection), simply change it and save it. No remux needed to change only header data.
Do you know how to find out which subtitle track is which in the MKVtoolNix GUI? For instance, I'm looking at a movie called 30 Days a Night which has forced subtitles on Track 2 and Track 4 and it just says HDMV PGS for each of the subtitles and not like track 1,2,3,4, etc

Also, do you know why a movie like this has Track 2 with 44 subs and Track 4 with 44 subs (both of these tracks are the same forced subtitle sections) . I'm assuming one might be for Canada and one for USA? I believe they are the same exact.

EDIT: I figured out how to use the Header Function but it has the subtitle tracks renamed. I'm assuming sub track 1 is actually sub track 2, while sub track 2 is actually sub track 3, etc right? When I hit EXPAND on the subtitle track why are each options BLANK? I figured out which one can flag as "forced" but I had to just keep clicking in the GUI under header to find the forced area if that makes sense?

Finally, is it not worth it to remux just to get rid of all of the extra sub tracks I do not need ? There is an option to use their multiplexer to get rid of all of the subtitle tracks I do not need but will this even save much space to be worth the time to do it for each of my movies? I have over 2000 blurays to do. Do you know how much space each extra sub track is? I'm assuming not very much (maybe a few MB per each?)

Thanks again :)
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

StormMeows wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 pm
Do you know how to find out which subtitle track is which in the MKVtoolNix GUI? For instance, I'm looking at a movie called 30 Days a Night which has forced subtitles on Track 2 and Track 4 and it just says HDMV PGS for each of the subtitles and not like track 1,2,3,4, etc
The listed sequence in MKVToolNIX is the same as in MediaInfo. If you do not select a subtitle in MakeMKV or the subtitle track is deleted because no forced flagged subs are found for copy to the forced track, you must simply count. Anyway, look at the MediaInfo data and you know the track in MKVToolNIX. You can also use the ID from the MediaInfo list, but you must know that MediaInfo starts with ID number 1 and MKVToolNIX with ID number 0 (the real mkv ID number). So you must substract always one from the MediaInfo IDs to select the right track in MKVToolNIX.
Also, do you know why a movie like this has Track 2 with 44 subs and Track 4 with 44 subs (both of these tracks are the same forced subtitle sections) . I'm assuming one might be for Canada and one for USA? I believe they are the same exact.
No

Test it out, learning by doing. You ask and ask, but the self learning helps much more.

Post by Grauhaar »

StormMeows wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 pm
EDIT: I figured out how to use the Header Function but it has the subtitle tracks renamed. I'm assuming sub track 1 is actually sub track 2, while sub track 2 is actually sub track 3, etc right?
See my above answer
When I hit EXPAND on the subtitle track why are each options BLANK? I figured out which one can flag as "forced" but I had to just keep clicking in the GUI under header to find the forced area if that makes sense?
If an header element (a Flag) is not there, it uses a specified default (you can see the current values if you click on the track itself). If an element is missing, select "Add element" and select the needed value.

Post by StormMeows »

Grauhaar wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:53 pm
Got it. Did you see my other paragraph asking about deleting the subtitles for each movie I do not need and using the multiplexer?

Finally, is it not worth it to remux just to get rid of all of the extra sub tracks I do not need ? There is an option to use their multiplexer to get rid of all of the subtitle tracks I do not need but will this even save much space to be worth the time to do it for each of my movies? I have over 2000 blurays to do. Do you know how much space each extra sub track is? I'm assuming not very much (maybe a few MB per each?)

Thanks again!! You have helped out tremendously!
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

If you only need changing flags, use the Header Editor, very fast process. If you also have the need to remove tracks you MUIST use the remux, but you can also change/set the flags in the remux window before you start the remux.

The subtitles needs only some few KB or MB (see in the MediaInfo output), the space consuming parts are video (most) and audio (many), specialy the HD audo tracks f.e DTS HD Master. Can be up to 2- 4GB each. DTS HD Master tracks makes only sense if you have a very very good equiment (not soundbars or simple TV). You need an AV Receiver, a lot of speakers, subwoofers. I have seen people with simple TVs which saving all of this, but the TV speakers are not designed for this kind of audio overkill.

In most cases "Mediainfo" tells you the used "Stream Size" for each track (video, audio and subtitle). Check it out, the information is available.

If you want to save 2000 Blu-rays (without recompress it) you need a lot of space and a good storage medium (NAS with RAID), maybe with an addional backup in case it failes. Everything can fail ... specialy HDDs