Saving MakeMKV Files to NAS

Everything related to MakeMKV
StormMeows

Saving MakeMKV Files to NAS

Post by StormMeows »

Hi there,

Can I please get some guidance on how to save the .MKV file that MakeMKV makes directly to a NAS? Is it possible or would it be better to just save it to my Windows 10 PC and then transfer to the NAS? I just don't want to corrupt the file by saving it to an outside source such as a NAS.

Thanks for any guidance!
Ezatoka

Re: Saving MakeMKV Files to NAS

Post by Ezatoka »

I think the best would be if you have a network drive mapped to your NAS.

Then it shouldn't be a problem at all to just write to it. You only need to make sure, that the network connection is stable and has a reasonable speed.

I'm not sure how MakeMKV behaves, when the disc could be read with 30mb/s but the network would allow only 10mb/s (as example).
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

Ezatoka wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:09 am
I think the best would be if you have a network drive mapped to your NAS.

Then it shouldn't be a problem at all to just write to it. You only need to make sure, that the network connection is stable and has a reasonable speed.

I'm not sure how MakeMKV behaves, when the disc could be read with 30mb/s but the network would allow only 10mb/s (as example).
Hey there! Thanks for the reply. So your recommendation is to setup one of my hard drives on my PC as a mapped network drive and have MakeMKV save to that drive. Then transfer the .MKV file to the NAS after MakeMKV is finished? There is no way to just have MakeMKV save it directly to my NAS so I don't have to transfer the file each time? Thanks
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You do not HAVE to map a drive, but it makes things easier to remember later.

For example, I map "V:" (for video) to the area of my NAS that is shared with TV and similar devices. "Z:" is mapped to what I call "Raw Video", and MakeMKV saves everything to directories on Z:. When video is processed through handbrake, the source is on Z: and the destination on V:. Once done, the copy on Z: is removed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Username1267

Post by Username1267 »

Ezatoka wrote:
My experience is, that in this situation mkv reads with 30 mb/s and writes with 10 mb/s. When the progress bar is at 100% mkv hangs for a while before it starts reading the next track. While hanging no new data is read but the writing continues. But I don't know how much data mkv stores in the RAM before starting to behave differently from what I have written.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Ezatoka wrote:
The same way as a too-slow hard drive would be my guess, you will see error messages that say that MakeMKV is reading data faster than the data can be written.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If your network is based on 100mb/s Ethernet, MakeMKV can exceed that, and does indicate it could write faster. But, it does not lead to file corruption unless you have other problems on your network.

On a gigabit network, I can have 3 copies of MakeMKV running on different machines, ripping at full speed, while also running a handbrake session that is also running across the network, and still have bandwidth available. But, that assumes a fast enough NAS. A Raspberry Pi NAS isn't going to cut it. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

I rip to my PC hard drive but then process in Handbrake direct to a mapped drive on my NAS without any issues.