smarter file naming

Everything related to MakeMKV
thetoad

smarter file naming

Post by thetoad »

Currently the default way of naming a file is <title>_t<track #>.mkv. The point of the _t<track #> makes sense as a default when you'd have many files otherwise named the same, but becomes annoying if one changes the name of the title but then also has to change the filename if one doens't want it (but one doesn't want to change the default in case one has titles of the same name).

So I think it be better to be slightly smarter. Only use the the track tagging in a filename if one is creating multiple files with the same title, but otherwise not.

thoughts?
thetoad

Re: smarter file naming

Post by thetoad »

So I'm confused, per that description, I shouldn't getting _t## if my filenames would be unique without it, but I am.....
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The rules do have a property of "if the file name would be unique without applying this rule, do not apply it". Actually, adding that could end up with the first file being left alone, then the second one wouldn't be unique so the rule would be applied.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

yea, figured that out. I think it be smarter to not have the _t## as part of the template, but to be smart and do an analysis of the the whole job and then decide to be consistent across all of them.

for my needs I just removed it from the template, but think its could be a little more user friendly.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

I have changed it to "{NAME1}{Title:+DFLT}{_ID-:SN}" to have the "SourceNumber ?" (MPLS or M2TS) instead of the title number (the title number is only a counter without any releationship to anything) in the name. Specialy for series it is an great enhancement to have the MPLS for the epiosde ordering in the name. The bad thing is, for DVDs, it is only one number (I think the VTS) which is enhanced by a sequence number to avoid duplicates.
Good Luck :)