Dal1980

What's the problem

Post by Dal1980 »

Hi guys

How do I know if the problem I have is with
  • Drive (disc reader)
    MakeMKV
    Disc
Sometimes a disc will refuse to be read by MakeMKV and doing nothing but closing MakeMKV and disconnecting the drive via the USB cable, plugging it back in and opening MakeMKV can solve the problem but it may take several attempts.

I've tried explaining this in my other thread but I think it got too verbose with all my log messages and no-one knew how to respond (guessing) https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22227

I need to narrow down if my drive is going, MakeMKV is having issues or if the Disc is copy protected or something but I get random results every time and nothing makes sense to me.
Grauhaar

Re: What's the problem

Post by Grauhaar »

With the infos from the other thread I whould say you have a problem with the Drive itself and/or Enclosure and/or USB power. The messages shows that the the drive is not ready (ready state) or is already disconnected.
Good Luck :)

Post by Dal1980 »

Thanks Grauhaar

Wouldn't this be a consistent problem though? I mean I can literally have no issues over many discs then have a hard time with one.
Dal1980

Post by Dal1980 »

Thank you Grauhaar

This led me to investigate if I could prove that the drive does work.. I tried playing the disc and it would not load. I then removed the USB extension cable I'd bought and the disc played. I then tried MakeMKV again and hey presto it worked.

Thanks

PS: I should point out this all worked on a previous DVD which is why I couldn't understand why it wouldn't have worked on the Blue Ray (could it be that Blue Ray discs spin faster and therefore need more juice?)
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Dal1980 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 am
I then removed the USB extension cable I'd bought and the disc played.
USB extension cables are always a very very bad idea. With this, the USB components are working out of the specification, anything strange can happen. Unpredictable and random errors and results are possible. USB is not designed to work with long cables like ethernet connections.
Good Luck :)

Post by Dal1980 »

Oh - did not know that. Problem is my PC is wall mounted so I have to pretty much dangle the unit. I bought a Powered hub but that doesn't work at all.