"Kung Fu Panda" BD Problem

Everything related to MakeMKV
jbennett

"Kung Fu Panda" BD Problem

Post by jbennett »

Has anyone else been able to successfully convert "Kung Fu Panda" Blu-ray using MakeMKV? I know it's a BD+ disc, but even after decrypting it to an ISO image with AnyDVD-HD, it still crashes MakeMKV beta 1.3 build 797 and 1.4.0. MakeMKV seems to process an unusually large number of titles (it gets up to 245 before crashing), and allocates an extremely large amount of memory (over 1 GB of physical and 1 GB of virtual). Clown_BD (a front-end for eac3to and tsmuxer) handles this disc fine, and successfully muxes the main title to an M2TS file. I've tested both directly reading the ISO file into MakeMKV, and mounting it as a virtual drive under Virtual CloneDrive, with no difference in MakeMKV behavior. This is on Windows XP SP3, on a dual-core Opteron 170 @ 2.6 GHz, with 2 GB RAM.

I'm unable to copy and save the debug log due to the crash, but let me know if you need any more information...

Thanks!

--John
Matt Devo

Re: "Kung Fu Panda" BD Problem

Post by Matt Devo »

unrelated to your problem, but why would you bother decrypting to an ISO image first? Just leave AnyDVD-HD running in the background and let MakeMKV read directly from the disc. Unless you like adding 60-90 mins extra to your ripping process for no good reason. (Ignore this if you back up all your blurays to ISO using ANyDVD-HD)
jbennett

Re: "Kung Fu Panda" BD Problem

Post by jbennett »

Matt Devo wrote:unrelated to your problem, but why would you bother decrypting to an ISO image first? Just leave AnyDVD-HD running in the background and let MakeMKV read directly from the disc. Unless you like adding 60-90 mins extra to your ripping process for no good reason. (Ignore this if you back up all your blurays to ISO using ANyDVD-HD)
As you suspected, it's for a couple reasons:

1. While MakeMKV is still undergoing "growing pains," I've been hanging on to the original ISO images for reprocessing, etc. if necessary.

2. I actually use two computers for ripping and processing, depending on what else I'm doing at the time. My Blu-ray drive is normally attached to my HTPC, but it's a much older machine with a single-core 2.0 GHz Athlon XP 2400+. So I'll typically do the ripping there, and store the images across the network via Gigabit Ethernet. Then I'll run MakeMKV against those images, on my dual-core 2.6 GHz Opteron 170 machine.

Thanks for the advice, though...

--John