MKV User Manual?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Steve B

MKV User Manual?

Post by Steve B »

Hi am new to MKV but downloaded it and looks good. Ripped one DVD with one problem with missing audio from one section. Is there a user manual to explain what the options are in the screen interface so I can learn whats what? and try to resolve this problem.

Whats the best way to rip a DVD and re write it etc all the usual noobie questions.

Using iMac Mojave
Woodstock

Re: MKV User Manual?

Post by Woodstock »

Not really.

"No audio" can be caused by many things. MakeMKV will not generally save a file if it cannot read all SELECTED parts of it.

Sometimes the audio is encoded in a way your playback environment cannot deal with.

Other times, you have selected a preferred language in Preferences->Language, and the disk does not have an audio track in that language.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Thanks, have checked the drop down file and all have an audio file but one does not just seems not to have seen it?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The second picture in this topic shows the track selection window. Does the title you're having issues with show any audio tracks? Assuming it does, are they selected? What does it show for the track encoding (LPCM Stereo Japanese in the example)?

Generally, DVDs are not going to have audio tracks that are "unknown" to typical MKV-capable video playback software, like VLC and Kodi. What they CAN have is tracks marked with the wrong language, which the player might ignore.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Thanks, no audio track see photo.
MKV.jpg
MKV.jpg (120.45 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well, that kind of explains why there was nothing in the MKV file... :(
preserve

Post by preserve »

A lot of times there are titles with no audio depending on the content of the title, things like copyright notices, etc.

Although from what I can tell on the screen, I guess this title is 6:17 in length, so it wouldn't seem to fall under one of those scenarios.

I'm assuming you ripped the title to see what it actually is, and it's supposed to have audio?

This would seem to be a DVD disc-specific question, not a general question. It could help to know what the disc is, in the event that someone has this same disc. It's a PAL DVD?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00