I was thinking of purchasing MakeMKV......

Everything related to MakeMKV
scifi

I was thinking of purchasing MakeMKV......

Post by scifi »

.....but not if the $50 version gives as blurry a MKV as the free beta version does. I can download a 800M version of a movie and get a similar degree of detail. Does the paid version provide a crisper image?
Billycar11

Re: I was thinking of purchasing MakeMKV......

Post by Billycar11 »

depends on your disc if the quality is bad or not makemkv takes the exact contents of the disk and just puts it on a hdd/ssd it has no effect on the quality if it looks bad that movie on that disc looks bad
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
scifi

Post by scifi »

Thanks for the reply.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

A lot of downloads have already been processed to remove the interlacing you find on "raw" DVDs. That interlacing is great for a CRT-type display, but sucks big time on digital monitors. And many downloads started with a better source - Bluray usually doesn't have interlacing, although there are interlaced BDs out there too.

A raw MKV made from a DVD has little chance of "looking nice" compared to something that started with 4x the resolution, too.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
KristofB83

Post by KristofB83 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:31 am
A lot of downloads have already been processed to remove the interlacing you find on "raw" DVDs. That interlacing is great for a CRT-type display, but sucks big time on digital monitors. And many downloads started with a better source - Bluray usually doesn't have interlacing, although there are interlaced BDs out there too.

A raw MKV made from a DVD has little chance of "looking nice" compared to something that started with 4x the resolution, too.
What would be the "go-to" way to remove interlacing from my old DVD MKV files?
(MKV's have been created using MakeMKV and choosing main video file with prefered audio / subtitle tracks, no other wizardry has been done to them)
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

KristofB83 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36 am
Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:31 am

What would be the "go-to" way to remove interlacing from my old DVD MKV files?
(MKV's have been created using MakeMKV and choosing main video file with prefered audio / subtitle tracks, no other wizardry has been done to them)
most players have an ok deinterlacer built in but if yours does not put them through handbreak
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My "go to" is handbrake - The only files on my NAS that have NOT been processed through handbrake are experimental 3D rips, experimental 4K HDR rips (handbrake doesn't do HDR or Dolby Vision), and stuff queued up for when I have time to process them through handbrake. Some things I've processed multiple times through handbrake because I found better settings to use.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
KristofB83

Post by KristofB83 »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My "go to" is handbrake - The only files on my NAS that have NOT been processed through handbrake are experimental 3D rips, experimental 4K HDR rips (handbrake doesn't do HDR or Dolby Vision), and stuff queued up for when I have time to process them through handbrake. Some things I've processed multiple times through handbrake because I found better settings to use.

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:52 am

most players have an ok deinterlacer built in but if yours does not put them through handbreak
Thank you both for your response!