My 1080p Blu-ray is only ripping at 720p

Everything related to MakeMKV
springerr

My 1080p Blu-ray is only ripping at 720p

Post by springerr »

I'm new to the world of ripping disks and I can't seem to find out why my movie is only ripping at 720p instead of 1080p and I can't seem to find anywhere to pick my desired resolution in any of the options.

This is the disk drive I'm currently using

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZKNRF2/re ... nFb4SMANWM

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or maybe some ideas to get the proper resolution?
Woodstock

Re: My 1080p Blu-ray is only ripping at 720p

Post by Woodstock »

Try a different player. The video in the MKV file should be the same resolution as is on the disk.

Unless the BD itself is 720p (and it can be!), it would be the playback environment that is questionable. For example, if you place the MKV files on a Plex server and tried to view them on a 720p device, Plex would provide a 720p stream to that device.

As for the "can be", I have multiple disk sets of "SD on Blu-ray", with as many as 56 episodes stuffed onto one disk. Those are DVD-quality video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
springerr

Post by springerr »

Ok so if I run it in VLC on my 1440*3440 display it comes out to 720p. Here is a screenshot of the media information. This is a screenshot that was grabbed from my cell phone while remotely accessing my PC as I'm at work now

http://imgur.com/a/xPn5QQo

Is there any way to confirm what resolution is actually on the disk? The blu-ray case says it's 1080p
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

720x480 isn't "720p"; that is DVD-resolution, 480i video, especially with the frame rate shown.

That title comes in a DVD/BD package from Funimation; Are you sure you didn't rip the DVD copy?
springerr

Post by springerr »

I only received a single disk version. I'll be a little upset if the case is blu-ray and the disk is DVD. It was still in its original packaging as well. I'll have to look at the actual disk when I get off work. Also Plex sees it as 480 so there is that as well 🤔
springerr

Post by springerr »

I figured it out 🤦‍♂️ sorry for wasting your time...

http://imgur.com/a/eb5PfjI
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The convenient thing about the dual-media packs is the ability to combine the BD video with the DVD subtitles, for players that can't do PGS subtitles. I used to do that a lot... then I got better players. :)