I discovered "MakeMKV" a few months ago, but there are some things I don't understand.

Everything related to MakeMKV
Artiche

I discovered "MakeMKV" a few months ago, but there are some things I don't understand.

Post by Artiche »

Hello,
Why do installed versions become obsolete after a few weeks and why make them obsolete?
Where do you find the registration key you are talking about when the installed version becomes obsolete?
Is there really any loss of picture and sound quality when creating an mkv file from an original dvd movie?
Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: I discovered "MakeMKV" a few months ago, but there are some things I don't understand.

Post by Woodstock »

Why do installed versions become obsolete after a few weeks and why make them obsolete?
Where do you find the registration key you are talking about when the installed version becomes obsolete?
Is there really any loss of picture and sound quality when creating an mkv file from an original dvd movie?
There is an FAQ about keys that explains part of your first question. The 60-day expiration of keys serves the purpose of incentive to buy a permanent key, and also to get people to update to the latest version. There ARE constant changes to MakeMKV to keep ahead of copy protection.

That FAQ link includes the link to where the current beta key is posted, as well.

MakeMKV copies the video and audio to an MKV file, without changing it. If the video is crappy when you play the MKV, it was just as crappy on the DVD. :)

One exception is that MakeMKV can change audio tracks for compatibility, but that is optional; it will not normally do that. What was on the disk is what is in the MKV file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging