Read Rate or Rip Speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
terraphantm

Re: Read Rate or Rip Speed

Post by terraphantm »

Hi, I realize this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem with the latest version of MakeMKV. I've got a Pioneer BDR-206D on the 1.06 firmware and the speed seems to be stuck between 2.5-3.5x throughout the entire rips.

So far the blu-rays that I've tried are all 6 lord of the rings extended blurays, and The Matrix. Anyone know of a fix?
zmarty

Post by zmarty »

Same problem here using MakeMKV 1.7.0 on Windows 7 64bit with Pioneer BDR-206DBK 1.56. CPU does not go above 15%. However, I think the drive itself is fine because Nero Disc Speed goes up to 8X on a SL Blu-Ray. So there must be something wrong with MakeMKV?
johndoe86x

Post by johndoe86x »

I am going to fall in line and apologize for the necroposts. I recently stumbled upon MakeMKV when I decided to create an XBMC and digitize my Blu Ray collection.

I have an ASUS BC-12B1ST firmware 1.02, and to my knowledge it is not rip-locked. It's supposed to have read speeds of 12X, and I've never seen MakeMKV get much higher than 3. I've been reading that the slow speeds are supposed to be fixed in the next version, but I'm on 1.8.4. If there's any recent and new insight, then it would be much appreciated.

Thank you to the devs for their hard work on this program!!
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

That might be 12x for a single layer, but 6x for a dual layer disc. I think that's the drive I have and I do get up to the full speed that the drive permits which is usually 6x. I didn't do anything special that I can recall.

And it goes faster for DVDs.

SC
multimiler

Post by multimiler »

Another data point from a MacBookPro user.. (MacBook 15", 16GB ram, 256G SSD, OS/X Mavericks).

I initially purchased a Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD blu-ray reader/writer with published media speeds of:
  • Write: 8X DVD+R/-R, 6X DVD+R/-R DL, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 5X DVD-RAM 6X BD-R SL/DL, 2X BD-RE SL/DL, 24X CD-R/CD-RW
    Read: 8X DVD+R/-R, 8X DVD+R/-R DL, 8X DVD+RW/-RW, 8X DVD-ROM, 5X DVD-RAM 6X BD-R SL/DL, 6X BD-RE SL/DL, 24X CD-R/CD-RW/CD-ROM
With this drive, I've was experiencing rip speeds <= 2.0x for both blu-ray or DVD disks. Then, while ripping a DVD, I opened up iMovie to check on something. As soon as iMovie opened, the disk speed jumped to 8.0x.

I wasn't sure how to interpret this. Was it a problem with the drive, or a problem with makeMKV. Since the disk was a recent purchase from Amazon, I decided to return it and purchase the ASUS BW-12DIS-U drive with posted speeds of
  • Read Speed
    • BD-R : 8X
      BD-RE : 8X
      BD-ROM : 8X
      BD-R(DL) : 8X
      BD-RE(DL) : 6X
      BD-ROM(DL) : 8X
      DVD+R : 16X
      DVD-R : 16X
      DVD+RW : 12X
      DVD-RW : 12X
      DVD-ROM : 16X
      DVD+R(DL) : 12X
      DVD-R(DL) : 12X
      DVD-ROM(DL) : 12X
      DVD-RAM : 5X
      CD-R : 40X
      CD-RW : 24X
      CD-ROM : 40X
      DVD Video Playback : 5X
      VCD Playback : 9.3X
      Audio CD Playback : 9.3X
    Write Speed
    • BD-R : 12X
      BD-R(DL) : 8X
      BD-RE : 2X
      BD-RE(DL) : 2X
      DVD+R : 16X
      DVD-R : 16X
      DVD+RW : 8X
      DVD-RW : 6X
      DVD+R(DL) : 8X
      DVD-R (DL) : 8X
      DVD-RAM : 5X
      CD-R : 40X
      CD-RW : 24X
Plopped in a DVD and ripped with MakeMKV at about 9.0x speed. Then dropped in a Blu-Ray disk and it never went above 2.0x again. Tried the "iMovie hack again" and it had zero effect.

I keep hearing that this problem has been fixed in a later release. Anyone have any clues?

My demo license expires on March 31st at which point I have to pay for a license. At that point this will be my #1 complaint as a paying customer! In fact, until this is fixed, I'm not purchasing a license. :evil:
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

How are you powering this drive? Just from the USB connection or via a powerplug?

SC
multimiler

Post by multimiler »

The ASUS BW-12DIS-U is powered by an external power supply.

I've just about finished ripping about 400 DVDs using this drive and about 80% rip at a max rate between 7.0x and 11.0x, and the remaining 20% never rip faster than 2.0x. I can rip about 4-5 DVDs at the higher rate in the time it takes to rip one at the 2.0x rate.

Sure wish MKV would rip everything at the higher rates.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I get <2x rips on a regular basis. I don't take any notice anymore. I have a full internal Blu ray drive with an abundant power supply and a SATA interface. I'm reading Get Smart season 1 disc one DVD right now and it's stuck at 2.0x. Doesn't this happen to everyone?
kpnuts81

Post by kpnuts81 »

Apologies if this is well known info (I found my way here searching for details of what I've noticed but couldn't find anything), but I've found that having the Disk Utility application open (on Mac obviously) makes the rip speed improve massively. I'll normally see roughly 2x speeds and then if I open Disk Utility while ripping the speed will shoot up, to 7 or 8x usually.

My experience is with a USB Samsung Blu Ray USB drive (SE-506) ripping DVDs and BRs.
tonyv

Post by tonyv »

For those with the Pioneer BDR-XS05 (or possibly any Pioneer drive), download the Windows Drive Utility.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... s/BDR-XS05

Then change the "Advanced Quiet Drive Feature" from "Quiet Mode" to "Performance Mode". Instantly went from 2.0x to 6.0x on a Blu-Ray movie I was currently ripping while I made the change.

I've been ripping my collection at 2x and it has been driving me nuts. Thankfully, I stumbled onto this find only after 2 or 3 movies.
yespage

Post by yespage »

Man, I wish I had known about this before! My Pioneer XD-05S (USB 3.0 powered) is reaching 6.0x now after installing Pioneer's utility. FYI, I didn't need to update drivers. Also, while it gets up to 6.0x, it took time for the drive to work up to 6.0x. About a half hour for a 35 GB disc.