1.15.3 License Error

Everything related to MakeMKV
tazlord

1.15.3 License Error

Post by tazlord »

Hello,
I installed 1.15.3 today and it appears the eval expiry is having some sort of issue. This issue prevents use of the application.
Below are some screenshots of the error and interface. Am I doing something wrong?

Things I have tried:
  • I tried uninstalling and re-installing MakeMKV 1.15.3
  • I tried using the key currently listed in the forum (noted to expire Oct 2020).
    (Using the forum key presented me with an out of date error and suggested I install the latest version of MakeMKV)

Error: "Evaluation period has expired"

Log

About Page

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CZ Eddie

Re: 1.15.3 License Error

Post by CZ Eddie »

Yeah, the license suddenly stopped working for me today also.
I don't know why of course, but I assume it's because the current trial license is only good for the month of October and maybe it didn't get configured for 31 days but only 30.
I'll check tomorrow for November's license and I suspect that will work fine. I hope!
gengar

Post by gengar »

CZ Eddie wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:02 pm
I'll check tomorrow for November's license and I suspect that will work fine. I hope!
Just a reminder from the thread FAQ about BETA and PERMANENT keys.:
But I have to rip this disk NOW, and the beta key is expired! MakeMKV checks the key for expiration by comparing your system DATE when the program STARTS. It does NOT check it after that. What you do with that information is up to you.
CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie »

I don't know why you guys keep posting that FAQ because it makes no sense.
I'm not here complaining.
And I don't know what the FAQ has to do with a license that isn't working.
Maybe you could spell it out for me since apparently I'm an idjut.
tazlord

Post by tazlord »

Agreed. I don't see what that FAQ snippet has to do with this issue. This is clearly a license key issue, not a system date issue. Although, I can see where this would come into play if there was some sort of urgency behind needing to use the software "right now".
CZ Eddie wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:28 am
I don't know why you guys keep posting that FAQ because it makes no sense.
I'm not here complaining.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The current beta key expired at the end of October.

How does MakeMKV know what the date is? It asks the operating system, when it starts up. It doesn't ask it again.

Does the operating system necessarily have the CURRENT date at all times?

Might there a reason why it might not know that the date is past the key's expiration?

Are there commands that could (temporarily) confuse the operating system into returning a date prior to the expiration?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

CZ Eddie wrote:
The FAQ is linked just to make sure that those posting re: beta license expirations see the relevant information before the posts are locked/deleted (which the FAQ also mentions), as it explains why (somewhat) and how to get around the license not working when it does periodically expire, which is what has now happened as you surmised. There may be a gap between the last expired license and when the new one will get posted - if you need to use MakeMKV as a beta without registering a permanent key in the meantime, you can change your system date when starting MakeMKV.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie »

The worst helpful posts ever.

Thank you.
gengar

Post by gengar »

tazlord wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:39 am
Agreed. I don't see what that FAQ snippet has to do with this issue. This is clearly a license key issue, not a system date issue. Although, I can see where this would come into play if there was some sort of urgency behind needing to use the software "right now".
Of course it's a license key problem. No one has suggested otherwise. The relevance of system date is that any time this license key problem occurs, it can be resolved without having to wait for a fix to any given license key problem.
CZ Eddie wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:25 pm
CZ Eddie wrote:
I'd stick to one of these statements - don't think you get to choose both.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

CZ Eddie wrote:

Thank you.
Although I doubt it will appease you, may I provide a little context?

This particular event has repeated itself, multiple times, every ~2 months. for over a decade. A "rite of passage" for new arrivals, if you will.

Current MakeMKVV versions have the latest beta key embedded, hence are affected by the key expiration.

While the beta key page states "valid until end of ...", perhaps you've incorrectly interpreted this to mean "@ the stroke of midnight, on the last day of ...". This has never been the case. Historically. keys expire within a few days of that specific moment. Why, you ask? Dunno. In >10 years, I don't recall the answer ever being revealed.

Woodstock, in his wisdom, has attempted to short-circuit this type of post by creating the FAQ, which includes all the relevant data, sans emotion, for us to refer new users to when the key expires.

There really is no further explanation, like it, or not. Probably time for this thread to go the way of its predecessors.
CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie »

d00zah wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:46 pm
While the beta key page states "valid until end of ...", perhaps you've incorrectly interpreted this to mean "@ the stroke of midnight, on the last day of ...". This has never been the case. Historically. keys expire within a few days of that specific moment. Why, you ask? Dunno. In >10 years, I don't recall the answer ever being revealed.
Good post/info, thank you.
Perhaps the "faq" can be modified to start out with this.
tazlord

Post by tazlord »

Definitely good info. However, from this info I can deduce that in the many years I've been using this software, I most likely never tried to use it towards the end of the key's life because this is the first time I've ever run into this issue, personally (the issue being, the license key expiring a day or two short of the expected (assumed?) date). That being said, it was never stated that this issue was urgent. I actually ended up using the FAQ to my advantage, as I have in the past. It was just strange that October wasn't actually over, yet the license key stopped working. Definitely my bad for assuming "end of October" actually included the 31st day.
d00zah wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:46 pm
CZ Eddie wrote:

Thank you.
Although I doubt it will appease you, may I provide a little context?

This particular event has repeated itself, multiple times, every ~2 months. for over a decade. A "rite of passage" for new arrivals, if you will.

Current MakeMKVV versions have the latest beta key embedded, hence are affected by the key expiration.

Woodstock, in his wisdom, has attempted to short-circuit this type of post by creating the FAQ, which includes all the relevant data, sans emotion, for us to refer new users to when the key expires.

There really is no further explanation, like it, or not. Probably time for this thread to go the way of its predecessors.
gonca

Post by gonca »

You can always buy the permanent key and avoid all these headaches
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

I still get that there are people out there evaluating the software. But the asking price for a permanent key is about as reasonable as it gets.
As pointed out in several replies though, the original question is frequently asked.