Limit error retries

Everything related to MakeMKV
keithhelms

Limit error retries

Post by keithhelms »

Is there any setting to limit the number/time makemkv will retry when getting a drive error? I've run into a couple of those scsi errors recently and it seems like makemkv just keeps trying over and over again. That can't be good for the drive.
dcoke22

Re: Limit error retries

Post by dcoke22 »

Look at the IO tab in Preferences.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Preferences->IO, Read Retry Count.

Note that this only applies to the number of times MakeMKV will request a retry, after the operating system reports an error; the operating system may make retry requests before MakeMKV is notified of an error.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
keithhelms

Post by keithhelms »

It looks to be set to 5 by default. Is that "per bad sector"? If there's a problem where the computer and drive are not talking correctly, wouldn't that mean makemkv just moves from sector to sector and retries all of them 5 times? Every once in a while I get errors like this:

MSG:2003,0,3,"Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00040.m2ts' at offset '1241088'","Error '%1' occurred while reading '%2' at offset '%3'","Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT","/BDMV/STREAM/00040.m2ts","1241088"

Where the drive just won't work again until I power cycle the system. Then it picks up and starts working again. Before I notice the problem and kill makemkvcon, it justs spits out errors endlessly. The drive is less than a year old, so it shouldn't be going bad yet and it works for many discs between these "spells".
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If a 5th retry gets a good sector read, but the next sector comes up bad for 4 tries, continuously, yes, it would retry every sector.

However, if it fails 5 retries, the read of that file will be aborted.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging