erichtroy

Cannot rip after update

Post by erichtroy »

MakeMKV Version 1.15.4 [win(x64-release)]
GUI version v1.15.4 4 [win(x86-release)]
License Type: Freeware
Evaluation: Not Started
This version expires Tuesday April 06, 2021 [57 day(s)]

My Avast Anti-Virus software has given me a warning popup.

"We Have Just protected your file. Makemkvcon64.exe is trying to change or delete the file TITLE_T00.MKV in your protected Desktop Folder. What would you like us to do? BLOCK APP or ALLOW APP. "

App Name: C:|Program Files (x86)\makeMKV\makemkvcon64.exe
Protected folder: C:\Users\Erich\Desktop
Detected by: Ransomware Shield

Running MakeMKV software, it reads the disk, then when hitting the button to Make MKV, I get Error OS error - Access is denied occurred while creating the files, then fails to create all files. Files created 0

Windows 7 - 64 Bit Platform Operating System
Woodstock

Re: Cannot rip after update

Post by Woodstock »

Don't save to your desktop. Save to a folder on your drive that isn't protected by Microsoft's overly-aggressive yet poor-performing ransomware protection.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

I believe the "overly-aggressive yet poor-performing ransomware protection" belongs to Avast, but the advice is sound. Avast makes nary a complaint when I save new titles elsewhere.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, so it wasn't Microsoft this time... :)

In any case, when you do updates, you can often encounter changes in how things work. Various WIn10 updates have changed policies on what programs can talk to what hardware, what USERS can talk to what hardware or directories, and even differentiate between local and remote log ins from the same user.

Over the last year or so, everyone is also getting aggressive about versions of user programs, and a change of signature can revoke permissions given previously. That is, v1.15.3 may have your approval, but v1.15.4 doesn't inherit that approval.

So the best thing to do is to choose destinations that have less-severe restrictions, or be prepared to manage the restrictions at unexpected times, if you have automatic updated enabled.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

erichtroy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:34 pm
Windows 7 - 64 Bit Platform Operating System
Usually it's me having reading comp issues. :o

Pretty certain this is all on Avast & personal experience w/ same tells me that Woodstock's original suggestion to save new titles somewhere other than the desktop remains the correct solution.