Read Speeds? LG BP50NB40

Everything related to MakeMKV
BlockbusterDan

Read Speeds? LG BP50NB40

Post by BlockbusterDan »

My read speeds seem to top out at 3.9x and this slows down the process. The drive is rated at 8x and I was wondering if I'll ever see those speeds? I haven't flashed the firmware yet because I don't own any UHD discs. Are there any settings I can tinker with to increase read speeds? I'm currently extracting regular DVDs.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: Read Speeds? LG BP50NB40

Post by Woodstock »

Read speeds are marketing hype. They can be reached under certain conditions, but the general case isn't as rosey.

There is a limit to how fast the disks can be spun. Besides the "fly apart explosively" speed limit, some drives do not get enough power to spin at their max rate.

But, the linear bit density remains the same (more or less) from the inside of the disk to the outside rim. Obviously, that means the data flows faster the further the head is from the center, so long titles will hit read higher speeds as you go.

Throw in disk with complex structures that have the read head moving about a lot, as it seeks to the next section to read.

Oh, layer change on a multi-layer disk? Please wait while I refocus the laser, and hopefully pick up the next section to read.

Maximum speed reads are easily disrupted by ANY imperfection in the surface of the disk, even if it cannot be seen by the naked eye.

Occasionally, I have seen 16 and even 18x reads, but 3-8x is more common towards the end of a rip. At the beginning of a disk, 2-5x is rather fast.

There can be other factors, too; MakeMKV can read optical disks as fast as the optical drive can decode the bits, often being speed limited by writing to the destination drive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BlockbusterDan

Post by BlockbusterDan »

I'm thinking the usb 2.0 is a bottleneck as well. It's kind of frustrating that I could just download a digital copy faster than ripping and making my own. I know that's how it goes though.

the computer is rather new and I'm writing to a samsung 870 SSD over correct cables.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

No. As long as you don't have a USB2 disc drive writing to a USB2 hard disc this is not the bottle neck. USB2 per se if you don't use concurrent devices that share the USB2 speed the limit is 60 MB/sec which is not limiting your drive read speed.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV will happily rip from more than one drive at a time. Double or triple the number of discs you can process in a day by getting a second or third drive.

The Ultimate Drives Guide: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634