Ugly subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
ben_uk

Ugly subtitles

Post by ben_uk »

Hi there,

Is there any way to "improve" the look of the player generated subtitles that are used by BD discs?

I always think its sad when embedded subtitles are removed and replaced with horrible digital looking ones with no contextual presence, I think they cheapen the look of a film.

I think I already know the answer, but I thought I would ask the question anyway.

Thanks,

Ben.
Woodstock

Re: Ugly subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV copies the subtitles found on the disk (DVD, BD, UHD) to the MKV file. These are graphic images, with their style defined by the disk author. Unless your player is substituting its own subtitles in, what you see is what was on the original, "pretty" or "ugly".

If you are using an external SRT file, fonts and such on those are set by the player software. I would agree with you that SRT subtitles are generally ugly, but the format is very limited in what you can do.

If you are using an external SSA subtitle file, the fonts and stylizing are generally set within it, assuming your system has the fonts it calls for. OR you can incorporate the SSA track and its necessary fonts into the MKV file, but you are still limited by decisions the SSA author made, and by the limitations of the player. SSA subtitles can be fantastic, or a real dud.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging