Enhancing multiple concurrent disc rips

Everything related to MakeMKV
ptr727

Enhancing multiple concurrent disc rips

Post by ptr727 »

I am ripping from two drives at the same time, using two instances of MakeMKV.

I would like MakeMKV to change its behavior so that one rip does not interfere with the other.

E.g.
I start ripping dics 1, in drive 1, using MakeMKV instance 1.
I start ripping disc 2, in drive 2, using MakeMKV instance 2.
Disc 1 rip completes.
I eject disc 1 using the eject button in MakeMKV instance 1 UI.
MakeMKV instance 1 automatically starts scanning disc 2.
While disc 2 is still being ripped.

MakeMKV should remember the drive that was last used, it should not automatically change drives unless I manually select the other drive.

Are there other recommendations to streamline multiple concurrent rips?

P.
Wasabi

Re: Enhancing multiple concurrent disc rips

Post by Wasabi »

ptr727 wrote:MakeMKV should remember the drive that was last used, it should not automatically change drives unless I manually select the other drive.

And it should not scan ANY drives when it is first opened. I rip my DVDs to ISO and then process the ISOs later with Make MKV. So all I want MakeMKV to do is allow me to get to the "Open Files" menu option, but of course it has to try scan all my optical drives first.

I gave up on batch ripping directly with MakeMKV precisely because of the behavior you describe. It's annoying having the program constantly trying to outsmart me by choosing a drive that is currently being ripped from while I reload another drive. Just freakin' sit there until I tell you to do something.

Perhaps there should be a setting for "People who have never used a computer before" that behaves like the current version, and another option for "Everyone else". :mrgreen:
ptr727

Post by ptr727 »

Yes you are right, I should have mentioned that.

When I launch MakeMKV, and one of my drives are already in use by another app, or by another MakeMKV instance, MakeMKV starts scanning that drive.
By scanning that in use drive that drive now goes seeking all over the place, impacting the other operations on that drive.

You then have to click the Cancel X button, then it starts scanning again, then click cancel again, then it starts scanning again, then click cancel a third time, then it leaves that drive alone.

I would prefer a manual scan button, or an option to not autoscan drives.

P.
bassinayatei

Post by bassinayatei »

You can use the CLI to do the rips. I have a batch file and a powershell script that I use to rip dvds with one click.
The script assumes that it is running on a 64-bit version of windows. You need to modify it to make it wonder in a 32-bit system.

In your case you'll have to create two copies of ripdvd.ps1 (like: ripdvd1.ps1 and ripdvd2.ps1) and edit the "#Settings" section of the script.
  • $driveLetter: The letter of the drive that you want to rip from + a colon (:)
    $driveIndex: The drive index for the drive with $driveLetter.
    $rootDest: The folder where you want to store the output. A subdirectory with the label of the drive will be created.
To get the $driveIndex for your drive, run:

Code: Select all

makemkvcon -r --cache=1 info disc:9999
To run the ps1 file you need to either sign the code yourself or allow remotecode execution. See <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 76949.aspx> for more details.
The disc will be automatically ejected when the rip is done.

ripdvd.bat

@echo off
mkdir %2
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon64" mkv disc:%1 all %2
ripdvd.ps1

# Settings
$driveLetter = 'G:'
$driveIndex = 0
$rootDest = 'D:\Video\'

# Code
$drv = New-Object System.IO.DriveInfo($driveLetter)

if($drv.IsReady){
    $label = $drv.VolumeLabel

$destination = [IO.Path]::Combine($rootDest, $label).ToString()

echo "Ripping $label ($driveLetter) to $destination"

# We assume our drive is the first disc drive. 
    # Also, we have to use bat in order to wait for program exit.
    ripdvd.bat $driveIndex $destination

# Eject the drive
    echo "Ejecting disc"
    $sa = New-Object -comObject Shell.Application
    #$sa.Namespace(17).parseName($driveLetter)
    $sa.Namespace(17).ParseName("$driveLetter").InvokeVerb("Eject")

echo "Done"
}else{
    echo "Drive is not ready"
}
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

bassinayatei wrote:You can use the CLI to do the rips.
Has the CLI been updated so it can do the same as the GUI yet?
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

Or there could simply be an option to never auto-scan in the GUI. There are too many circumstances that arise (in my case, anyway) for a generic CLI script to work.
bassinayatei

Post by bassinayatei »

trondmm wrote:
Has the CLI been updated so it can do the same as the GUI yet?
I believe the GUI uses either the same code base as the CLI (or maybe even the actual binary itself) -- in any case if the banner of the CLI is to be believed, it is up-to-date.
I used a modified version of my script to rip about 300 ISO's into mkv and only 3 failed. Also, so far I've ripped about 20 DVD (decrypted with AnyDVD) and so far no problems. I don't a BluRay drive, so I can't comment on that.
bassinayatei

Post by bassinayatei »

Wasabi wrote:
Or there could simply be an option to never auto-scan in the GUI. There are too many circumstances that arise (in my case, anyway) for a generic CLI script to work.
I'm just too lazy to sit there and fiddle with the rips, so the CLI works best for me. But I agree, it would be nice to have such an option for those who must use the GUI.
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

So I bought a third Blu-ray drive, and yeah, this behavior is insufferable. You think it's bad when two MakeMKV instances are competing for the same drive? Try pulling your hair out when it's three. I thought I would be able to plow through some box sets lickety-split, but not with MakeMKV's "helpfulness." :evil:

Maybe I should look at this CLI crap. Because that's what I want to do - learn scripting for something that was previously done with one click in the nice easy GUI. Ugh...
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Of course, you could always use the batch rippers mentioned on this forum. They only rip on disc at a time but since it happens unattended you can easily do it over night or when you're away from your computer.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

Chetwood wrote:Of course, you could always use the batch rippers mentioned on this forum. They only rip on disc at a time but since it happens unattended you can easily do it over night or when you're away from your computer.
And that would help how? Getting the first three rips started isn't a problem as long as you have all of the discs loaded before you start up any instances of MakeMKV. It's dealing with the nonsense that happens when one of those three finishes and you want to start a fourth. As soon as you eject a disc, that now-empty drive goes nuts trying to read the other two drives that are still working. Lord help you if two discs finish at the same time, because once you eject them, that third drive is going to get gang-raped by the other two bored ruffian drives :lol:
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Of course it won't help people who enjoy being DJ.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

Added ability lo lock a program instance to a single drive

Thank you! MakeMKV has just become infinitely better :mrgreen: