Ripping BD with MakeMKV on Atom/Zacate

Everything related to MakeMKV
mesasone

Ripping BD with MakeMKV on Atom/Zacate

Post by mesasone »

Hoping Mike or others can clear something up here.

I'm looking to put together an HTPC and want to rip and store media on the HTPC for the time being. I only need playback on one system and would like to save the time and cost of putting together a server until I get to the point where a media server becomes more practical. To that end, I'm considering AMD's new Zacate platform and in particular ASUS's passively cooled boards. I asked for confirmation that the Zacate system would be up to the task of ripping BD to disk using MakeMKV with the audio/video untouched. In response I got two resounding "no" and a single yes.

My understanding is that MakeMKV will decrypt the audio and video and simply send them straight to the MKV with no processing and shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not entirely sure what is involved. Has anybody attempted to do this on an Atom/Ion system, and if so what were the results?

I've searched here and on Google using the terms Zacate, Atom, and Ion but haven't found an answer.

Thank you in advance for clearing this up.
Krobar

Re: Ripping BD with MakeMKV on Atom/Zacate

Post by Krobar »

Makemkv is not usually cpu intensive and the SATA performance of Zacate is good. Just get a decent BDRom to go in the Zacate system, MakeMKV will work fine - no problem at all.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV should work on this system. If it won't, we should fix it very quick.
GJones

Post by GJones »

I have a Plextor USB BD-ROM attached to an atom system (Acer Revo 3610, dual core atom, 2 GB RAM). This machine handles makemkv and makemkvcon (which I prefer) easily and write to an unRaid server at speeds between 11-15 MB/s (not Mbps) under most circumstances.

This little box runs XBMC Live (best HTPC software out there) and can handle displaying a movie while simultaneously ripping most DVDs and BDs without too much contention. The commandline version (makemkvcon) is a bit more sensitive to resource constraints but doesn't yet support some of the necessary options (only pulling core DTS and forced subtitles).