What do you do when MakeMKV can't see your drives on macOS?

Everything related to MakeMKV
KENSAI

What do you do when MakeMKV can't see your drives on macOS?

Post by KENSAI »

I have three slimline external optical drives: an old Asus Blu-ray reader from 10 years ago, a newer Blu-ray burner from two years ago, and a UHD Libredrive that I bought from someone here in the forums. For a few years, all three drives worked great with MakeMKV. Recently though, only the Libredrive is available for use in MakeMKV.

The other drives power up fine, accept discs, etc., but don't show up as options in MakeMKV. I've disconnected them from my iMac, rebooted, then re-attached them. They won't show up as valid sources for MakeMKV. I've taken the Asus drive and connected it to my Macbook Pro and it worked great with MakeMKV.

When I look in System Information on my iMac, I see "HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N" is the only drive visible - that's the Libredrive. So perhaps this is more of a macOS question (I'm on Monterey 12.2.1), but I thought someone here may have faced something similar and could point me in the right direction. Thanks for any tips. :D
mike admin

Re: What do you do when MakeMKV can't see your drives on macOS?

Post by mike admin »

KENSAI wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:57 am
I have three slimline external optical drives: an old Asus Blu-ray reader from 10 years ago, a newer Blu-ray burner from two years ago, and a UHD Libredrive that I bought from someone here in the forums. For a few years, all three drives worked great with MakeMKV. Recently though, only the Libredrive is available for use in MakeMKV.

The other drives power up fine, accept discs, etc., but don't show up as options in MakeMKV. I've disconnected them from my iMac, rebooted, then re-attached them. They won't show up as valid sources for MakeMKV. I've taken the Asus drive and connected it to my Macbook Pro and it worked great with MakeMKV.

When I look in System Information on my iMac, I see "HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N" is the only drive visible - that's the Libredrive. So perhaps this is more of a macOS question (I'm on Monterey 12.2.1), but I thought someone here may have faced something similar and could point me in the right direction. Thanks for any tips. :D
No, this is wrong, all three should be visible. There could be an issue with an old non-burner, but any other drive should just work, Please email me with a log file.
KENSAI

Post by KENSAI »

Hi Mike, I appreciate the response. I've done a bit more testing and this issue seems to be a problem with my iMac and not MakeMKV specifically. I tried all three drives with a DVD and two of the three won't even show up in Finder. So I need to explore this at the macOS level. If I get them showing up in macOS and they aren't showing up in MakeMKV, I'll come back to this thread.
KENSAI

Post by KENSAI »

Well don't I just feel dumb. :shock: Turns out my external hub had crashed somehow and that's why two of the three optical drives weren't show up. What's weird is that my external SSDs connected to the hub were still working ok, so that's why I didn't suspect it, but now I know better...now all three drives are showing up in Finder, and all three show up in MakeMKV.