Flesh

Re: Dark mode for MAKEMKV?

Post by Flesh »

++my vote for darkmode
saturn2888

Post by saturn2888 »

Dark mode exists in Linux.

In the TrueCharts version on TrueNAS, the Docker container lets you enable dark mode with an environment variable.

Even the progress bars look different when you do it. Might be that version of the Linux GUI which changes to dark mode though.
andy@sheimo.net

Post by andy@sheimo.net »

I too would like a dark mode. I find that the bright hurts my eyes but dark mode on application and the desktop reduce that greatly.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I just updated to v1.17.4 and I was really hoping to find this option buried in the preferences somewhere, but no, looks like my eye-strain continues for the duration...

Nothing GUI-wise ever seems to get updated with this software, maybe there's too much work-load generating UHD title keys manually or something, maybe GUI design just isn't your thing, but there are quite a few things now that could really stand some lovin' with the GUI, I really hope you can find the time to add some features that users will actually use?

I know it's still in Beta, and it is made available for free, but some of us (me included) are PAYING customers! :P
SteveO_098

Post by SteveO_098 »

I understand and agree with the request for dark mode. But, I am think more of just 'follow the windows theme' mode.
ImCoKeMaN

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

Anyone that wants to build the GUI and include dark mode could as the GUI is open source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29126&p=130924

I believe it's not quite as simple as making it follow a theme though, there's work involved =)
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

MakeMKV's GUI does follow Windows' themes to a certain degree, and I've been screwing around changing things for the darker...

..but there are some things that (I assume) must be hard-coded and don't change with Windows, which means I can't make everything as dark as I'd like because some items disappear completely, like border titles and drop-down box options...

..and, of course, changing Windows' settings affects EVERYTHING within Windows so the above changes do have some unwanted side-effects on a lot of other programs un-related to MakeMKV.

And I hate that I have to change my entire Windows system just because of one single program.
SteveO_098

Post by SteveO_098 »

I found a tool that gives more much more control, Auto Dark Mode X 10.3.0. But, the Windows logic escapes me :roll: and I still cant get the MakeMKV window background to change. This may well be for a very good reason. But, if anyone knows how to do this then sharing that knowledge would be appreciated.

https://github.com/AutoDarkMode/Windows ... /10.3.0.90

How did you get those MakeMKV changes Radiocomms237?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

SteveO_098 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:06 am
I found a tool that gives more much more control, Auto Dark Mode X 10.3.0. But, the Windows logic escapes me :roll: and I still cant get the MakeMKV window background to change. This may well be for a very good reason. But, if anyone knows how to do this then sharing that knowledge would be appreciated.

https://github.com/AutoDarkMode/Windows ... /10.3.0.90

How did you get those MakeMKV changes Radiocomms237?
Think that's the high contrast theme in windows.
But as he says it changes everything
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

SteveO_098 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:06 am
~ How did you get those MakeMKV changes Radiocomms237?
Right-click on a blank area of the desktop and choose "Personalize".

Before you change anything, SAVE YOUR CURRENT THEME so you can reset if/when things go pear-shaped!

Now you can either pick a different "Theme" or you can change individual items by clicking on "Window Color" and then "Advanced appearance settings..." (the terminology may vary with different versions of Windows).

A new window will open called "Window Color and Appearance", in here you can change individual items without adopting a "Theme" (which also changes your icons, cursors, etc.). I'd suggest having MakeMKV open on another monitor (or on another part of your desktop if you're monitorially-challenged) so you can see what parts change 'live'.

I think the main ones I messed around with were "3D Objects" & "Window" from the drop-down box, but I was making wholesale changes at one point just to see what each option did so I may have modified some other items as well?

A strong word of caution: It's very easy to screw-up these settings and make your text and cursor 'disappear' into the background, which makes things very difficult, including further changes to the color scheme! Most of the time you will need to change both the item color and the font color in contrast to each other.

As before, this is a kind-of 'stop gap' measure and the down-side is that every other app on your PC will also be affected, which, for me, sucks big time! I would still like to see a "Dark Mode" option internally so I don't need to change my entire PC experience just because of a single app, it's just that I stare at this particular program for many hours most days and I need something done about the eye strain it's causing!
SteveO_098

Post by SteveO_098 »

Yes, after playing for quite a while and downloading several themes I think Windows 11 theme is not a solution. Themes that set dimmer MakeMKR background seem to only be available under themes that alter contrast settings. And this will also apply for word processor etc background; and, can make other minor unacceptable changes. Each app, including MakeMKV, seems to need its own 'Dark Mode'.
lwndow

Post by lwndow »

Since MakeMKV is made with QT libraries, I wonder if something like this would work?

Code: Select all

-platform windows:darkmode=2
So maybe something like?

makemkv.exe -platform windows:darkmode=2
If that does work, maybe we could ask Mike to add as a preference? I'm not on Windows at the moment, so I have the bliss of dark mode on Linux.
hlhbk

Post by hlhbk »

A long time paid user I joined the forums to request this feature. I am pretty technical so if you can send me info how to manually do this I can implement them.
lwndow

Post by lwndow »

lwndow wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:50 pm
Since MakeMKV is made with QT libraries, I wonder if something like this would work?

-platform windows:darkmode=2
So maybe something like?

makemkv.exe -platform windows:darkmode=2
If that does work, maybe we could ask Mike to add as a preference? I'm not on Windows at the moment, so I have the bliss of dark mode on Linux.
This didn't work after all as I find myself back on Windows for a time