Question: Using two drives to backup a disc

Everything related to MakeMKV
simplepanda

Question: Using two drives to backup a disc

Post by simplepanda »

Greetings,

I have two working LG UHD friendly drives that I I've used to rip my BD and UHD BD collection. I've also recently bought a new Pioneer XS07-UHD drive but, unfortunately, it shopped with the newer firmware on it and LibreDrive won't work (yet).

So, I have a UHD disc I just can't get a cleanup backup of: Last Night in Soho.

I've played this disc on my Panasonic UHD player with zero problems and the disc is cleaned and in perfect shape.

When I try to rip with it either of my LG drives I get hash check errors about 20G into the main M2TS video file, so it looks like for some reason my LG drives just won't read the disc properly.

My question is this:

Can I use the LG drive to extract the decryption keys (discatt.dat, I suppose) and then use the Pioneer drive to copy the encrypted data off of the disc, using that extracted key from the LG? Is there any practical way to do this?

I've read some posts about a process in which I can start a disc backup on the LG with "decrypt" unchecked, then abort the backup once the M2TS files start copying, then drag/drop the M2TS files into the backup folder by pulling them off of the disc in the Pioneer drive. The problem is that doing this, there doesn't seem to be way to actually validate the hash of the files to make sure everything is good.

Any ideas or advice other than just RMA'ing the Pioneer and hoping I get one that has the old firmware on it (or waiting for 1.03 to be supported by LibreDrive)?

Thanks in advance everyone. This forum has helped me backup 200+ of my BD and UHD discs onto my NAS and I've rewatched so much of movie collection now that it's all just on my media streamer.
Billycar11

Re: Question: Using two drives to backup a disc

Post by Billycar11 »

simplepanda wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:01 am
Greetings,

I have two working LG UHD friendly drives that I I've used to rip my BD and UHD BD collection. I've also recently bought a new Pioneer XS07-UHD drive but, unfortunately, it shopped with the newer firmware on it and LibreDrive won't work (yet).

So, I have a UHD disc I just can't get a cleanup backup of: Last Night in Soho.

I've played this disc on my Panasonic UHD player with zero problems and the disc is cleaned and in perfect shape.

When I try to rip with it either of my LG drives I get hash check errors about 20G into the main M2TS video file, so it looks like for some reason my LG drives just won't read the disc properly.

My question is this:

Can I use the LG drive to extract the decryption keys (discatt.dat, I suppose) and then use the Pioneer drive to copy the encrypted data off of the disc, using that extracted key from the LG? Is there any practical way to do this?

I've read some posts about a process in which I can start a disc backup on the LG with "decrypt" unchecked, then abort the backup once the M2TS files start copying, then drag/drop the M2TS files into the backup folder by pulling them off of the disc in the Pioneer drive. The problem is that doing this, there doesn't seem to be way to actually validate the hash of the files to make sure everything is good.

Any ideas or advice other than just RMA'ing the Pioneer and hoping I get one that has the old firmware on it (or waiting for 1.03 to be supported by LibreDrive)?

Thanks in advance everyone. This forum has helped me backup 200+ of my BD and UHD discs onto my NAS and I've rewatched so much of movie collection now that it's all just on my media streamer.
no that wont work because makemkv cant remove the buss encryption on the pioneer with the current fw send me your makekmv drive info section i may be able to downgrade it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
simplepanda

Post by simplepanda »

Drive information (in case otherwise find this thread and are wondering about this drive firmware) is here.

I've also PM'd you.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk9
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-XS07U
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: BEDL006352UC
Firmware date: 2023-01-06
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8E21
Firmware version: ID05

Disc Information
Label: LAST_NIGHT_IN_SOHO_UPK75
Timestamp: 2021-11-24 12:13:39
Protection: AACS2.0/C v76
Data capacity: 88.90 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

just use ddrescue with the drive that can read it. and let it run continiously till you see that for days it cant copy any new data.

i.e.

1) insert disc
2) run makemkv to insert libredrive to disable bus encruption.
3) image with ddrescue.

when you get 100% data copied, can do the disc discatt.dat trick you were thinking of. Perhaps it will never be able to get a complete copy, but at least then you'll know how much bad data there is in practice / perhaps can find another (identical) disc to try and fill in the blanks with ddrescue with same method.
gerard143

Post by gerard143 »

just return the drive and hope to get one with older firmware.

I have 4 pioneers I am running now that I bought before the 1.03's are gone forever.