MakeMKV keeps having fatal errors

Everything related to MakeMKV
SharpChance

MakeMKV keeps having fatal errors

Post by SharpChance »

I've used this for a couple months now backing up all my blu rays when suddenly it keeps having fatal errors and crashing. I'm not sure why since the app doesn't give any information about what went wrong. It's not the disc because I can keep attempting the same disc over and over and it will eventually scan through the whole disc without crashing. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV keeps having fatal errors

Post by Woodstock »

It would be considerable easier to tell what is going on if we had information besides, "it down't work, what's wrong?"

WHAT fatal errors are you receiving? Are they from MakeMKV, or your operating system?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SharpChance

Post by SharpChance »

There is no information other than "A fatal error has ocurred closing the app" from makemkv itself. Nothing in event viewer or the logs that I can see. It just closes the app with no details.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Checking the executables for MakeMKV, "closing the app" does not appear in the Windows version. Assuming you've not turned off logging, there should be an makemkv.log file somewhere that is written each time the system starts.

Did you recently update your system to a new version of the operating system? It is possible that some updates will remove parts of MakeMKV that are necessary to run, and will cause problems like this.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SharpChance

Post by SharpChance »

Sorry I was going off memory. The error was "fatal error occurred program will now exit".

The issue started after I did a windows update. I reinstalled windows and it was still occuring. Did a bunch of troubleshooting to verify that none of my hardware was failing. Then I noticed that it would always coincide with Windows "Desktop Window Manager". Crashing and rebooting. So I did some sfc scans and there were no issues and I couldn't figure out what was going wrong so I started trying everything and I think I found the culprit. Disabling Windows defender "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission" seems to have fixed it.

I think the newest Windows update is buggy as hell with the crappy ai Copilot being shoved out as fast as they can to ride the ai wave.
SharpChance

Post by SharpChance »

Welp I was wrong, it's still having that error and crashing it's just less frequent. It's definitely something wrong with Windows though, guess I'm gonna try and dig up an old windows installer and disable updates for a couple months while I wait for them to get this crap sorted