Is this ASUS BW-16D1HT DOA?

Everything related to MakeMKV
engingowning3

Is this ASUS BW-16D1HT DOA?

Post by engingowning3 »

Hello, i'm new to this forum, i'll cut to the chase:

I bought a ASUS BW-16D1HT, it was manufactured Jan 2018. I've just plugged it in using a powered SATA -> USB adapter from UGREEN and hooked up to MakeMKV.

The drive does not seem to work. I place a disc in the drive and it will spin up for around 2 minutes before hitting me with a "no disc inserted" message.

I have tried to install firmware from the All You Need pack, as well as use asus' utility to revert to 3.10.

I have additionally cleaned the sensors and tried again with no avail.

I have used DVD, CD, Blu Ray. 2 types of each. None seem to work.

Is this drive DOA?
d00zah

Re: Is this ASUS BW-16D1HT DOA?

Post by d00zah »

Does the OS recognize the disc before launching MakeMKV?

What Info/LibreDrive Info does MakeMKV report?

It's possibly the SATA -> USB adapter? Or, not. Not all fully support ATAPI devices.
snowyangel2

Post by snowyangel2 »

Hello, i'm the original poster of this thread. (I lost access to that account lol)

The adapter from amazon was sent with a 5v power adapter. These optical drives run on a 12v connection, and thus, it was not spinning up correctly. I'm surprised it isn't bricked.

I had to find a cable which was 12 volts and after plugging it in, literally worked OOTB as if nothing happened.

Software is working fine. I am now ripping a few blu-rays for my family.

I will buy this software later should I get the time.
snowyangel2

Post by snowyangel2 »

For a summary, I am using a ASUS BW-16D1HT Blu Ray drive with a UGREEN SATA to USB connector. The issue was the plug that was sent, despite being called a 12v plug, was not actually 12v.

Opening MakeMKV and it did pick up the drive and all the details; so did windows. It was only erroring when inserting discs. Due to power restraints. I was able to flash firmware and revert and do everything except for ripping.

I plugged the drive into my Linux machine and it was pretty obvious something wasn't right after running "journalctl -b" and seeing all these errors relating to "power reset".

I checked the cables and made sure connections were secure; and after checking more thorough. Thats when it was discovered that it simply was not getting enough power.

So ultimately; check when you use a USB/SATA connector that the supplier sends out the correct power adapter alongside it.

I hope this helps someone else along the way. :)