Noob question about ripping and playback with Dolby Vision and DTS:X or Atmos

Everything related to MakeMKV
TruenoBoricua

Noob question about ripping and playback with Dolby Vision and DTS:X or Atmos

Post by TruenoBoricua »

Hi,

I am new here. I tried querying the forums and using Google searches as well. I saw plenty of prior conversation but nothing i could use to bottom out assistance (sorry).

I have a BDR-S12XJ. I used MakeMKV to rip my copy of Gladiator 4k.

The rip seemed successful. I tried playing it back via Kodi and i was unable to get Dolby Vision and DTS:X to work. When i use the BluRay via my XBox Series X everything plays as expected with DTS:X and Dolby Vision. My setup is XBox or desktop computer connected directly to Visio Elevate with HDMI which is then connected to my LG CX with eArc.

Any ideas on what i could be doing wrong?
charnathan

Re: Noob question about ripping and playback with Dolby Vision and DTS:X or Atmos

Post by charnathan »

does the version of Kodi support Dolby Vision for MKV files?
TruenoBoricua

Re: Noob question about ripping and playback with Dolby Vision and DTS:X or Atmos

Post by TruenoBoricua »

Thanks. I was pretty sure this is what it was so I opened a share and put infused on my appletv+.

That should have worked. Unfortunately no dice. No dolby vision and no dts:X

Not sure how to tell if the rip didn't fully work or something else about the playback that I am missing.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Make sure you have the audio set to bit stream
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

TruenoBoricua wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 pm
Thanks. I was pretty sure this is what it was so I opened a share and put infused on my appletv+.

Not sure how to tell if the rip didn't fully work or something else about the playback that I am missing.
Does Apple TV support DV for MKV files? On their website I'm unable to find support for MKV files.

Not every device/player/app supports DV in MKV files. Like my LG C1, it supports DV, but only in the apps and MP4 files. It currently doesn't support it in MKV files.

And to add more complexity it could be the DV profile that isn't supported either.
awdspyder

Post by awdspyder »

charnathan wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:59 am
does the version of Kodi support Dolby Vision for MKV files?
I was distinctly under the impression that current stable builds of Kodi do not support DV in MKV files. To the best of my knowledge the only combinations that work reliably are Plex/Emby on Nvidia Shield Pros or the Zidoo players.
webster2

Post by webster2 »

charnathan wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:53 pm
TruenoBoricua wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 pm

Does Apple TV support DV for MKV files? On their website I'm unable to find support for MKV files.

Not every device/player/app supports DV in MKV files. Like my LG C1, it supports DV, but only in the apps and MP4 files. It currently doesn't support it in MKV files.

And to add more complexity it could be the DV profile that isn't supported either.
Hi,

Does Apple TV support Dolby Vision specifically for MKV files, or is it limited to certain file formats like MP4?