Synology DS1522+ / Vantec NST-536S3-BK compatibility issues?

Everything related to MakeMKV
mjholbert

Synology DS1522+ / Vantec NST-536S3-BK compatibility issues?

Post by mjholbert »

Hey everyone -
I just purchased a Synology DS1522 and a Pioneer BDR-S13UBK. I have the Pioneer drive in a Vantec NST-536S3-BK. I can connect the enclosure to any of my PCs with no issue. Drive is immediately detected, plays, etc. However, when I connect it to either USB port on my NAS, it will not detect it. I have tested my various external HDDs on both USBs on the NAS and they get detected with no issue. Has anyone come across compatibility issues with these enclosures on Synology NAS?

Thanks for the help.
Woodstock

Re: Synology DS1522+ / Vantec NST-536S3-BK compatibility issues?

Post by Woodstock »

Are you expecting to be able to use the BD drive on the Synology? While the Synology IS a computer, it isn''t set up like most. It will detect and use hard drives, but read-only media isn't its strength.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mjholbert

Post by mjholbert »

Yes. I've watched a few YouTubes https://youtu.be/Ax5ep25L-Us?si=QzrL1UgD3c_KiqBXwhere they have an external Pioneer drive attached directly to the NAS, mount the drive in the Synology VM manager app, and run it inside an Ubuntu VM. The drive is detected as a device thats usable in the VM. I just cant get it to detect at all. The only difference is the drive and enclosure Im using.
TheStill

Post by TheStill »

DSM version 7 removed support for USB Devices. Why they did this I've no idea. But I believe it is possible to add this feature back. So if you see videos of USB devices working on a synology then they are using an older outdated version or have added the USB support back in themselves.

But even if this was working I wouldn't use the synology to rip discs. Pointing the output to the synology or transferring the file to the synology after ripping would be a much better idea.
mjholbert

Post by mjholbert »

Thank you for the reply! Can you just explain why it’s not a good idea to rip directly to the NAS? Thanks again for the insight.
TheStill

Post by TheStill »

It is like using the wrong tool for the job. Your NAS is designed to run 24/7 doing fairly simple jobs. Since you don't want a huge electric bill every month they put a low power CPU in the device.

So can you rip directly to the NAS, yes since it is still a computer but it is going to take longer than your normal desktop. Also if your NAS is serving multiple purposes for instance Plex and serving up files. Those operations now get slowed down while the CPU is focused on ripping. Meanwhile your normal desktop pc likely won't have a problem ripping and doing other operations at the same as it will have a much better CPU.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In my experience, it is often the case that after ripping, my files still need a bit of work on the metadata before they're ready to be put on my Plex. I also transcode quite a lot of stuff before it ends up in my Plex.

My NAS is a final destination. I have some fast, local scratch space on my computer for ripping/transcoding/messing about. After the files(s) are ready, they're copied to my NAS and my scratch space is cleared.

Finally, my NAS lives in a room where I don't care much about how loud it is. The enterprise grade drives that live inside it aren't particularly quiet. Walking over there to put an optical disc in an optical drive would be annoying and inefficient.