Unencrypted Backup from Encrypted Backup

Everything related to MakeMKV
Powerkey

Unencrypted Backup from Encrypted Backup

Post by Powerkey »

I have successfully created an encrypted backup of a damaged UHD disc. The backup contains a working discatt.dat file and I am able to use MakeMKV to extract the videos.

Is there a way to create an unencrypted backup from this encrypted backup that I can turn into an .iso?
Billycar11

Re: Unencrypted Backup from Encrypted Backup

Post by Billycar11 »

Try using imgburn to make it an iso and mount it as an iso
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Powerkey

Post by Powerkey »

I tried that. I made an iso of the encrypted folder and mounted it. But MakeMKV would not see it as a disk. I was able to open the discatt.dat and extract the movie, but there does not appear to be a way to create a backup of it.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

It should work, I've done it myself.

As soon as I mount the ISO image (assigning it a virtual drive letter), Windows "AutoPlay" pops up asking me what I want to do with the newly connected drive. I have MakeMKV added to the default programs for optical discs so I just click on that, but if you don't, then just close that popup and open MakaMKV.

You should then be able to select the new drive letter from the "Source" dropdown box as if it were an optical drive, but do NOT "Open" the disc or the backup option will go away (greyed out).

Click on the green/yellow Backup icon, select the destination folder and make sure "Decrypt video files" is now checked, then do another backup.
Powerkey

Post by Powerkey »

I am using macOS. I will give that a try on my old Windows machine.

Thanks for the help.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

I had a similar need and can confirm that the process works. Just make an ISO image from the encrypted backup folder using ImgBurn, then mount the ISO created by ImgBurn in Windows by double clicking on it. When you mount the ISO, Windows will create a virtual optical drive and assign a drive letter to it. When you start up MakeMKV, MakeMKV will see this virtual optical drive and give you the Backup option in the menu, allowing you to create a decrypted backup.
mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

Rojma wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:10 am
I had a similar need and can confirm that the process works. Just make an ISO image from the encrypted backup folder using ImgBurn, then mount the ISO created by ImgBurn in Windows by double clicking on it. When you mount the ISO, Windows will create a virtual optical drive and assign a drive letter to it. When you start up MakeMKV, MakeMKV will see this virtual optical drive and give you the Backup option in the menu, allowing you to create a decrypted backup.
How do you create the encrypted backup folder? Do you just copy all folders (I think I saw 3) from the disc to the computer or do you use MakeMKV and just not check the decrypt option?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Yes, you can create an encrypted backup using MakeMKV, but why would you?

If you have the disc in the drive, you would simply ignore everything above and make a decrypted backup instead!

The above procedure is only necessary if you have previously made an encrypted backup and want to decrypt it.
mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 pm

If you have the disc in the drive, you would simply ignore everything above and make a decrypted backup instead!

The above procedure is only necessary if you have previously made an encrypted backup and want to decrypt it.
I am having read errors on several discs I'm trying to backup. I read somewhere that making an encrypted backup to the hard drive might help. I thought you could just copy files/folders from the disc to the hard drive then have makemkv look at the files you copied over and make decrypted version. When I look at the disc I'm seeing three folders: AACS, BDMV and CERTIFICATE. I was curious if I need to copy all three in order for this work.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

mustang5o wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:12 pm
Radiocomms237 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 pm

I am having read errors on several discs I'm trying to backup. I read somewhere that making an encrypted backup to the hard drive might help. I thought you could just copy files/folders from the disc to the hard drive then have makemkv look at the files you copied over and make decrypted version. When I look at the disc I'm seeing three folders: AACS, BDMV and CERTIFICATE. I was curious if I need to copy all three in order for this work.
It's not quite that easy or straightforward. The following thread has a lot more details:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16920

But before trying any of that, start by trying to clean the disc with a microfiber cloth and 91% isopropyl alcohol. This has fixed read errors for me like 95% of the time.
mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

Rojma wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:10 pm
It's not quite that easy or straightforward. The following thread has a lot more details:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16920

But before trying any of that, start by trying to clean the disc with a microfiber cloth and 91% isopropyl alcohol. This has fixed read errors for me like 95% of the time.
Thanks I'll investigate that. I have cleaned them quite well though not specifically with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I'll add that to my shopping list.