2 Rips From 2 Different Drives of Same Disc - One works and One Doesn't?

Everything related to MakeMKV
rkhollister

2 Rips From 2 Different Drives of Same Disc - One works and One Doesn't?

Post by rkhollister »

I ripped the theatrical and special edition of Aliens 4K using my LG and one of my Pioneersm(MKV, not disc backup). Both drives completed with no errors other than a few "dropped 2 audio frames to maintain sync..." which seems to be completely normal for seamless branching titles. The MKV's are the exact same size for each version.

However, the ones from the LG drive do not play correctly (freezes, pixelation and/or jerky framerate) on either my Zidoo Z9X or using Infuse Pro on my AppleTV. The files from the Pioneer play perfectly on either device.

I'm using a Mac with the latest version of MakeMKV.

How on earth can there be corruption in the MKV's if everything ripped iwh no errors? The problem is repeatable on both the theatrical and SE versions from the LG.
dcoke22

Re: 2 Rips From 2 Different Drives of Same Disc - One works and One Doesn't?

Post by dcoke22 »

It is possible some bits got flipped in the .mkv from the LG after the .mkv file was created.

Is the corruption still there if you recreate the .mkv files from the optical disc using the LG drive?
Coopervid

Re: 2 Rips From 2 Different Drives of Same Disc - One works and One Doesn't?

Post by Coopervid »

rkhollister wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:20 pm
I ripped the theatrical and special edition of Aliens 4K using my LG and one of my Pioneersm(MKV, not disc backup). Both drives completed with no errors other than a few "dropped 2 audio frames to maintain sync..." which seems to be completely normal for seamless branching titles. The MKV's are the exact same size for each version.

However, the ones from the LG drive do not play correctly (freezes, pixelation and/or jerky framerate) on either my Zidoo Z9X or using Infuse Pro on my AppleTV. The files from the Pioneer play perfectly on either device.

I'm using a Mac with the latest version of MakeMKV.

How on earth can there be corruption in the MKV's if everything ripped iwh no errors? The problem is repeatable on both the theatrical and SE versions from the LG.
Most LG firmwares have a "feature" called "jamless play". If read errors occur the LGs just skip the sector on the disc. It is meant to play discs without interruption and is similar to what standalone players do. But if you want to make a 100% 1:1 copy this is counterproductive.
You can flash the ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 firmware to your LG drive. This firmware has no "jamless play".