Naming Output File

Everything related to MakeMKV
philnort

Naming Output File

Post by philnort »

Mike, this was brought up several times earlier last year....will the next release have the option of Naming the output file...?
Navvie

Re: Naming Output File

Post by Navvie »

I don't really see the point tbh.

I always rename to suit my naming convention anyway... besides when ripping tv series its not always obvious which title is which episode... sometimes it is extremely "un-obvious".

title01, 02 etc is fine by me.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
philnort

Post by philnort »

Navvie wrote:I don't really see the point tbh.

I always rename to suit my naming convention anyway... besides when ripping tv series its not always obvious which title is which episode... sometimes it is extremely "un-obvious".

title01, 02 etc is fine by me.
Judging by last year's comments by users (and my own preferences) I don't think you're in the majority here....... Mike had also said last year that it was going to be implemented (?)
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

philnort wrote:
Judging by last year's comments by users (and my own preferences) I don't think you're in the majority here....... Mike had also said last year that it was going to be implemented (?)
I only started using MakeMKV in any seriousness since February of this year, so I apologise for having missed that discussion.

Mike is, obviously, free to add whatever features he desires or those that people tell him they would like to see. I would support him wholeheartedly, MakeMKV is a superb, compact program that I struggle to find fault with.

However, unless MakeMKV can query an database of disc IDs (or the MKV output file checksum) and automatically rename titles (and chapters) to a user definable pattern - in the same vein as many CD-to-mp3 programs use freedb, this isn't a feature I would make use of.

Peace.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
philnort

Post by philnort »

However, unless MakeMKV can query an database of disc IDs (or the MKV output file checksum) and automatically rename titles (and chapters) to a user definable pattern
----------
Hi! No I was NOT REFERRING to AUTOMATIC renaming the output file; I was referring to a user-defined name at the outset of the ripping process. It's just an 'enhancement'...not crucial....and I agree...a great program!
Iansilv

Post by Iansilv »

Could MakeMKV ever query a database by disk ID?
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

Iansilv wrote:Could MakeMKV ever query a database by disk ID?
I don't know. I didn't really think of the mechanics of how it would work... however, a couple of thoughts that cross my mind would be...

1) the name of the disc

2) the number of titles on the disc, the run time for each title (or any feature of the titles - chapter length, audio and subtitle languages... there is a lot of information in most titles)

3) a checksum of the files ripped from the disc (I assume these would be identical every time on every disc?)

A combination of the above should be able to reliably identify any disc I would have thought.

Whether this is outside the scope of what Mike wants to achieve with MakeMKV or not I don't know.

Mike, care to comment?
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
Iansilv

Post by Iansilv »

I think disks can be uniquely identified by disk ID.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Iansilv wrote:I think disks can be uniquely identified by disk ID.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For example, Mad Men Season 4 all three discs have the same ID.
Iansilv

Post by Iansilv »

What about an option to name that after the folder the original ripped files are coming from, or the name of the iso?