Some Ripped Movies Not Playable

Everything related to MakeMKV
Taddeusz

Re: Some Ripped Movies Not Playable

Post by Taddeusz »

I see there appears to have been a fix in the latest update for my problem. It still hasn't fixed the problem with Mallrats. I realized afterward that I didn't have debug logging turned on. I re-ripped the movie with it enabled.

I realize it might not be on the up and up but if there is any way I can provide you with an ISO image of the DVD in question I would certainly be more than happy to do so in order for this problem to be more effectively troubled shot. Seems like stabbing in the dark if you don't have a movie on hand that exhibits the problem.

I did notice that this particular movie has multiple angles defined. The primary angle is of course Angle 1 but for whatever reason it seems to be defaulting to Angle 2 and ignoring the rest. May this be part of the problem?

Here is the full log with debug logging enabled.
Attachments
Mallrats-log.zip
(784 Bytes) Downloaded 497 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Regarding chapter count: I've got a word on this - it looks like it is actually a feature.

Unlike DVD or Blu-ray all MKV files must have the first chapter at 0:0:0 - otherwise some players will crash on it. Therefore makemkv always tries to position the first chapter at the beginning of the file. The threshold value it uses is 3 seconds. If the first chapter is earlier than 3 seconds it will just change its time to 0:0:0, otherwise it will insert additional chapter at 0:0:0 . In any case makemkv will preserve chapter names (if chapters were named on dvd or blu-ray discs). In case of unnamed chapter this is what you get - additional chapter at the beginning of the file.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Taddeusz wrote:I see there appears to have been a fix in the latest update for my problem. It still hasn't fixed the problem with Mallrats. I realized afterward that I didn't have debug logging turned on. I re-ripped the movie with it enabled.
Can you please provide the "mkvinfo" output for produced file? The log looks perfectly fine. Also Can you try to pass the output file through mkvmerge and see if it will produce any errors?
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

Ok, here is the mkvinfo for the file.

When I pass the file through mkvmerge it says everything went fine but the resulting file is only 81KB in size:

mkvmerge v2.9.5 ('Tu es le seul') built on Jun 7 2009 11:07:06
'G:\UNNAMED_DISC\title00.mkv': Using the Matroska demultiplexer.
'G:\UNNAMED_DISC\title00.mkv' track 1: Using the MPEG-2 video output module.
'G:\UNNAMED_DISC\title00.mkv' track 2: Using the AC3 output module.
The file 'c:\movie_temp\title00.mkv' has been opened for writing.
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Muxing took 0 seconds.

I've attached the file for you to analyze.
Attachments
title00.zip
MKV after run through mkvmerge
(44.68 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Mallrats_info.zip
(1005 Bytes) Downloaded 489 times
ninjai

Post by ninjai »

mike admin wrote:Regarding chapter count: I've got a word on this - it looks like it is actually a feature.

If the first chapter is earlier than 3 seconds it will just change its time to 0:0:0, otherwise it will insert additional chapter at 0:0:0 .
Thanks for the explanation. I've found a program that can show the chapter definitions on a dvd.
The program shows the first chapter begins at exactly 0:00:00 :?:

see the attached picture. I'll try to rip the episode again with log files enabled...
Is it possible to increase the debugging level? If yes, how? :)

Is it possible to make the time frame for the first chapter, the 3 seconds, user configurable? I don't see a point to define a second chapter
after just 3 seconds.
Attachments
chapterxtractor.png
chapterxtractor.png (12.02 KiB) Viewed 21394 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Taddeusz wrote:Ok, here is the mkvinfo for the file.

When I pass the file through mkvmerge it says everything went fine but the resulting file is only 81KB in size:
Ok, that's really strange. What was the size of mkv file (title00.mkv ) that was produced by makemkv? Also, if you run "mkvextract.exe tracks title00.mkv 1:1.m2v 2:2.ac3" you'll get two files - 1.m2v and 2.ac3 . Please post their file sizes too. Thanks.
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

mike admin wrote:Ok, that's really strange. What was the size of mkv file (title00.mkv ) that was produced by makemkv? Also, if you run "mkvextract.exe tracks title00.mkv 1:1.m2v 2:2.ac3" you'll get two files - 1.m2v and 2.ac3 . Please post their file sizes too. Thanks.
The original file size is 3.1GB. Running that mkvextract command the file sizes come out to zero for both files:

G:\UNNAMED_DISC>mkvextract tracks title00.mkv 1:1.m2v 2:2.ac3
Extracting track 1 with the CodecID 'V_MPEG2' to the file '1.m2v'. Container for
mat: MPEG-1/-2 program stream
Extracting track 2 with the CodecID 'A_AC3' to the file '2.ac3'. Container forma
t: Dolby Digital (AC3)
Progress: 100%

G:\UNNAMED_DISC>dir
Volume in drive G is Extra
Volume Serial Number is 24A1-D6A0

Directory of G:\UNNAMED_DISC

06/25/2009 06:17 AM <DIR> .
06/25/2009 06:17 AM <DIR> ..
06/25/2009 06:17 AM 0 1.m2v
06/25/2009 06:17 AM 0 2.ac3
06/21/2009 10:18 PM 1,805 Mallrats-log.txt
06/22/2009 09:24 AM 784 Mallrats-log.zip
06/24/2009 06:26 AM 3,598 Mallrats_info.txt
06/24/2009 06:26 AM 1,005 Mallrats_info.zip
06/21/2009 09:20 AM 3,336,568,360 title00.mkv
06/24/2009 06:30 AM 45,757 title00.zip
8 File(s) 3,336,621,309 bytes
2 Dir(s) 220,618,473,472 bytes free

G:\UNNAMED_DISC>
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

Any ideas?
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

Ok, the latest version 1.4.6 seems to fix the problems I was having with Mallrats and Dogma. MakeMKV now properly picks up Angle 1 on Mallrats. Turns out Angle 2 is a commentary track with a video overlay of those making the comments. Dogma also ripped correctly and playably. I'm going to try a couple other movies I was having issues with but at this point I think we may consider this bug squashed.
Sybock

Post by Sybock »

I believe Taddeusz is correct. I have tried three of the movies on my list and they are all working now.
rickatnight11

Post by rickatnight11 »

I just tried to run MakeMKV v1.4.6 on a Matrix BluRay rip already on my HD. The process completed without error, but the MPC:HC crashes (right after increasing the window size to match the video, indicating that the video is actually in the file), and VLC will play the audio but the video generates the following error:

Code: Select all

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
System Specs:
Windows 7 RC 32-bit
AMD Phenom X4 9950BE
Asus Crosshair II Mobo
4GB RAM
WD RaptorX 150GB (Source)
Seagate 250GB (Destination)
XFX GTX260 BE

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This disc uses VC-1 codec. VLC can't play it and I do not know why MPC crashes in your case. Try to google around what needs to be done for VC-1 playback.
rickatnight11

Post by rickatnight11 »

Thanks, Mike. I tried ripping the movie again, with more success. The file still crashes in VLC (for reasons that are now clear to me) but plays in MPC. I'm going to play around with the subtitles, etc, but for archiving purposes would you be for or against transcoding the video to h.264? I'd like to shrink the file a bit while moving to a "better" codec (for my purposes anyway). Would Handbrake still be a good utility for doing this, or would you recommend another utility?