Rookie needs help - H2 create one output file?

Everything related to MakeMKV
ncswedes

Rookie needs help - H2 create one output file?

Post by ncswedes »

I'm a complete rookie at dealing with Video. Wanted to rip my DVD & Blueray movies to have the accessible on my media center (using JR Mediacenter). I was recommened to store as mkv files and to use makemkv. Ripped my 1st DVD movie and it worked fine, except for that I got 6 output file (title1,title2, ... title6). I would prefer to have them end up as one file - how to accomplish? (Please answer recognizing that I'm a complete rookie at video and videoformats / file containers).
Navvie

Re: Rookie needs help - H2 create one output file?

Post by Navvie »

ncswedes wrote:I'm a complete rookie at dealing with Video. Wanted to rip my DVD & Blueray movies to have the accessible on my media center (using JR Mediacenter). I was recommened to store as mkv files and to use makemkv. Ripped my 1st DVD movie and it worked fine, except for that I got 6 output file (title1,title2, ... title6). I would prefer to have them end up as one file - how to accomplish? (Please answer recognizing that I'm a complete rookie at video and videoformats / file containers).
Your question is a little ambiguous. And as a result, I'll give you the "normal" answer to the question about having multipe titles from one disc.

MakeMKV works by extracting all the "titles" from the disc into seperate files.

For a disc containing a movie and some bonus features. You'll get one title for the main film is (usually), and one title for each of the bonus features... If you have set the "minimum title length" low enough, you'll also get all the studio/publisher/anti-piracy/copyright bits as well.

Watch each file generated, then.

If you are saying that the main movie from the disc is split into multiple MKV files? Please tell us what disc it is.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
ncswedes

Post by ncswedes »

Thanks, Navvie,
I realize now that only one of the titles was the main feature and everything else bonus features of varies types.

Another question: are there any settings that can be applied at the time of 'ripping' for controlling sub-titles (if they are to appear or not)?
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

I'm afraid not. And yes, it is incredibly annoying.

As I understand it MakeMKV doesn't explicity set the subtitles to be on or off, and many players assume because they aren't off, they must be on. (Someone please correct me if this is wrong).

MKVmergeGUI (part of mkvtoolnix) can easily fix this for you in a just a couple of minutes.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE