Rip speed capped?

Everything related to MakeMKV
les_bloom

Rip speed capped?

Post by les_bloom »

Hi there,

First off, thank you for making such an easy to use piece of software.

I am in the process of converting my entire movie collection to digital format, so I have been using makeMKV a LOT :)

As a result, I am trying to figure out how to get my rips done faster.

I noticed that makeMKV seems to be capping at around 5x speed. My drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827106325) should go up to 8x however.

How can I go about figuring out why I am getting capped at 5x?

I actually want to purchase a faster, 18x drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827135224). However, if that is going to be capped at 5x also, then there is no point I guess.

Thank you
Les
Navvie

Re: Rip speed capped?

Post by Navvie »

You should have a look at your drive's firmware with mediacodespeededit.

I do not believe MakeMKV is the limiting factor here, between two mechanical harddrives it averages 80MB/s here.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
les_bloom

Post by les_bloom »

I just wanted to post an update about this.

I have not yet used that tool to look at my drive's firmware. However, I have ripped a handful more movies and noticed that speeds seem to fluctuate. Some movies have reach speeds as high as 7.X or 6.X while others maybe only get to 4.X or 5.X.

My guess is that some movies just make the software work harder? If that is the case, does it mean I am bottlenecked at my CPU? I decided to just buy that drive anyways. I figure 20$ is worth a test :)

I will post back with my results.

Thanks again
Les
goingbust

Post by goingbust »

You should never have to guess if your CPU is maxed out. Just open Task Manager (press ctrl-alt-delete and select Task Manager) and look at the Performance page while you are ripping. If any of the CPUs are over 90% then you may be CPU-bound. Otherwise, no.
jwb474

Post by jwb474 »

I also don't believe that the MakeMKV software is the limiting factor. I had a DVD that simply would not rip for whatever reason. So, I used DVD shrink without compression to make a Video TS folder. I then used the open folder selection from MakeMKV and loaded the vob files and used that to make an MKV file. The speed hit 25X at 33mb/s.
les_bloom

Post by les_bloom »

Hello again,

I picked up that new drive, and makeMkv is running much faster. Some DVDs are ripping at 12x or so.

So I guess it's just that some DVDs are slower then others and the drive won't ever reach it's advertised rates. However, a faster drive still works faster.

Thanks for the help everyone
Les
testmetest

Post by testmetest »

les_bloom wrote:I picked up that new drive, and makeMkv is running much faster. Some DVDs are ripping at 12x or so.
Which drive did you get?
les_bloom

Post by les_bloom »

testmetest wrote:
les_bloom wrote:I picked up that new drive, and makeMkv is running much faster. Some DVDs are ripping at 12x or so.
Which drive did you get?
I picked up this drive