Lossless/HD

Everything related to MakeMKV
DaxInside

Lossless/HD

Post by DaxInside »

Hi all

New to these forums so go easy :)

Ive just started to rip my bluray collection but I want to make sure I get things right before I get to far.

When I rip my films I select the HD audio stream. And when I come to play the MKV I notice that the audio stream is called 'lossless 5.1 DTS'. Is this the HD stream going by another name or have I done something wrong and not got the HD audio stream?

I play it back using my PC via an Onkyo 608 receiver. The receiver doesn't indicate when its receiving a HD audio stream from the PC as my sound card uses DD live so just sends that signal out each time. Im not sure how to set it to passthrough the audio untouched so I havn't been able to test it that way.

Thanks for any help you can give :)

Dax
crowfax

Re: Lossless/HD

Post by crowfax »

DaxInside wrote:New to these forums so go easy :)
We never go easy on people around here :mrgreen:
DaxInside wrote:When I rip my films I select the HD audio stream. And when I come to play the MKV I notice that the audio stream is called 'lossless 5.1 DTS'. Is this the HD stream going by another name or have I done something wrong and not got the HD audio stream?
You've done everything right. On the disc there is a single HD stream. When you rip the disc there are 3 possible outcomes:

1. Have only the HD track and decide on your playback hardware/software if you want the HD stream or the "core" (lossy) stream.
2. Rip only the "core" stream and loose the chance to have HD sound.
3. Rip the HD stream and the "core" stream. This will make the file bigger than the original, as you're duplicating data (as the "core" is already contained inside the HD track). I'm sure there is a good reason for doing this that I'm not aware of.
DaxInside wrote:I play it back using my PC via an Onkyo 608 receiver. The receiver doesn't indicate when its receiving a HD audio stream from the PC as my sound card uses DD live so just sends that signal out each time. Im not sure how to set it to passthrough the audio untouched so I havn't been able to test it that way.
How are you connecting the PC to the Onkyo?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
DaxInside

Post by DaxInside »

great reply, thank you.

My pc is connected to the receiver via a 1.4 high speed HDMI cable for video, and an optical cable for audio from my sound card. Its a SB X-fi something or other :)

I didnt realise when i bought it but my graphics card can do HD audio to, its a GTX 480. I could have saved a few quid and not bought the sound card.

So why does the audio stream show as Lossless rather than DTS HD? I know DTS HD is a lossless format so why wouldn't makemkv call it DTS HD?
DaxInside

Post by DaxInside »

Hi all

Can anyone please confirm that the audio track im left with called 'lossless 5.1' is infact DTS HD and will show as such on an AV receiver?

Thank you.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

DaxInside wrote:Can anyone please confirm that the audio track im left with called 'lossless 5.1' is infact DTS HD
If it's labeled as lossless, then yes.
DaxInside wrote:and will show as such on an AV receiver?
Depends if your player supports DTS-HD, and whether it also supports it when the container is MKV. It must also be configured properly, etc. etc.
DaxInside

Post by DaxInside »

My pc is connected to my Av receiver which supports HD audio formats.