Question regarding sound formats

Everything related to MakeMKV
jsc1205

Question regarding sound formats

Post by jsc1205 »

I'm starting to use MakeMKV to rip my blu-ray movies and would like to ensure I'm doing the correct thing when trying to obtain Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio. I have read through the forum and found that others have asked this same question, but the answers are kind of vague.

When I select DTS MA, do I have to select the option right below it, which is the "core" DTS option? I kind of understand how DTS works and how players will only play the core if it does not support the HD audio. Dolby True HD I suppose is working correctly. I'm debating on whether to play these MKV's through the Dune Max HD or the Popcorn Hour C-200 and want to ensure my Denon reciever is going to show DTS MA or Dolby True HD on the display......which is the only way I know of that the sound format is bitstreaming through correctly.

Please advise and thanks in advance for the help
robpdotcom

Re: Question regarding sound formats

Post by robpdotcom »

DTS-HD MA always contains a DTS core. Dolby TrueHD never contains a core in mkv.

If you only want to play the file on devices that support HD audio: Do not select the core.

If you want to keep the HD audio, and still maintain compatibility with devices that do not support HD audio: Select DTS-HD only (because the DTS core is part of DTS-HD MA). For TrueHD, you must select both TrueHD and the core.

If you don't need/want HD audio: Select the core only.