I'd go ahead and buy MakeMKV if...

Everything related to MakeMKV
robpdotcom

Re: I'd go ahead and buy MakeMKV if...

Post by robpdotcom »

No, it's possible for any seamless branching Bluray disc. And just about any DirectShow player can play ordered chapter mkv's, even Windows Media Player - the only restriction is that you use Haali's splitter, but that should change soon.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

How do I use that with Plex then? Or what about Linux users?

SC
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Smithcraft wrote:How do I use that with Plex then? Or what about Linux users?
You don't.

The point is that the Matroska spec is ready. Haali is the only available implementation, but there's nothing keeping the other players from supporting it too. So, if more tools to create seamlessly branched MKVs became available, more MKV-files using this part of the Matroska spec would be available, and there would be more pressure/incentive for the other players to support it as well.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

That was a rhetorical question. Since Haali is not available for anything other then Windows, branching content can't currently be played on anything else.

Of course you need a critical mass for developers to implement features. If they have to pioneer their own solution to issues then it takes longer, especially if they have other things that they consider to be a priority. Where as if something has a cross platform implementation it can spread quicker. Chicken or the egg?

SC
rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

I'd buy makeMKV if they accepted fairy dust <hint hint>.
-roger-
captain

Post by captain »

rogerdpack wrote:
captain wrote:PS3mediaServer integration, please!
Which files don't play with it? What do you use to stream it from within ps3ms? Seems like it's either a bug in those programs, or in makemkv :)

-roger-
Almost ALL of my DVD rips play just fine. Most of my blu-ray rips fail, but things have improved since the latest release of PS3MediaServer (PMS). As I have mentioned elsewhere, I suspect that MakeMKV is compressing the headers, and PMS doesn't deal well with compressed headers. I guess it wants a flat text header, or something. This is something that Mike either needs to figure out, or ask us to help with. I don't know enough to be of much use. All I can report at this point is what I have done: namely that my PS3 doesn't play a lot of blu-ray rips that are served to it by PMS and were ripped by MakeMKV. If someone tells me what to do to troubleshoot this I'll be more than happy to do so! :-) My ultimate goal is to see this work well enough that I can rip all my discs to my media server and watch them on my PS3 whenever I want to, without fussing around with anything other than basic choices (edition, language, subtitles, audio track). I'm sure that if we had that functionality Mike could make some money off of this! Seems like a win-win to me.
rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

re: ps3ms what program is ps3ms using underneath to play/stream the file, do you know? I know it can use mencoder as an option...
-roger-
JarrettV

Post by JarrettV »

robpdotcom wrote:Naming titles and streams:

This is part of the mkv header. So, instead of a track showing "3+2.1", you could manually name it (maybe you have a commentary track, and you want to name it "Commentary"). You can do this already with mmg's header editor, but it would be nice to do it with MakeMKV. Not asking for anything automatic, just control over what the names are. Titles are just the title of the file. I like it for episodes of a series: The title could be Heroes: Season One, Episode One - "Genesis". It's nice to include that info, but I wouldn't want the file name to be that long - plus, you can use characters not allowed for file names.
This would be a great feature!
robpdotcom wrote:Naming chapters:

There is a program called Chapter Grabber that will load chapter files from a disc, download the names from one of two databases (not all movies are available), and save it as an xml file that can be added to an mkv.
I'm the author of chapter grabber and my database chapterdb.org is growing quickly. I'd be fine if makemkv utilized the database. However, I'd probably want to upgrade my server first. :)

Also, I second the ability to name the output file. It should recommend or automatically use the name of the disc which is usually the movie title.
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

JarrettV wrote:I'm the author of chapter grabber and my database chapterdb.org is growing quickly.
Great program, so big thanks for that. The only thing missing is the ability to read xml chapter files. :mrgreen: I've kind of been holding out on that to go back and name the chapters on some Bluray rips.... extracting the chapter file with mkvextract would be much quicker than loading each disc.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

philnort wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:In the window where it has the file path, just edit the name of the file.

SC
Don't think that's possible....only directory selectable. I was told last year naming the output FILE was coming...BUT
Whoops! My mistake there. I had not used MakeMKV for a bit as I was focusing on trying to Hackintosh the peecee. I see that MakeMKV does not support naming the files.

Sorry if I might have caused any confusion from this.

SC
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

luluxiu wrote:I have 60GB dedicated to a movie, instead of 30GB. Of course, this is not a common occurrence, but it is a good feature. Big Blue about 4 different versions, it would be a good all in one file, but I do not know if possible.
Try this: xin1generator
http://code.google.com/p/xin1generator/

You also need eac3to. Use MakeMKV to rip the movie to your hard drive, then let xin1 work it's magic.

EDIT: You also need to install Haali in order to play it properly - which means you can only play it on a PC.
paulster

Post by paulster »

robpdotcom wrote:2) It were possible to name titles and streams.
I'd like an option, even if nothing else, to place the language name in the streams so when I'm looking for an audio track I don't have to go through a list consisting exclusively of items named 3+2.1 and could choose English, Spanish, Italian, etc.
robpdotcom wrote:3) It were possible to set default and forced flags (actually, this should be automatic when extracting forced subtitles).
I really can't understand why this isn't done automatically as it forces you to use a third-party application to fix the output files for forced subtitles.
robpdotcom wrote:4) It were possible to name output files.
Definitely. I've been testing ripping some TV series' into MKVs where each DVD contains a number of titles, each of which represents an episode, running multiple instances of MakeMKV in parallel. I've had to dump each DVD into a separate folder because each title begins Title00, so one instance would try to overwrite the other. It would be quicker to put the episode filename in before commencing ripping and then just pick up the MKVs when it has finished.
robpdotcom wrote:8) I know that re-encoding is not what MakeMKV is meant for, but converting LPCM to flac would be nice as well.
That would be sweet, but at least fixing the LPCM output would be a result in the meantime.
robpdotcom wrote:MakeMKV is a great program, but these things keep it from being a "one-click" alternative to the many free programs out there. I do have to admit, already owning AnyDVD-HD is a large factor, but the fact that all the things I listed are possible with free programs is what's really stopping me from buying MakeMKV.
That's how I feel about it. It isn't a one-stop shop at the moment because of the LPCM problem, the lack of ability to name streams and, for me, the issue with BluRay chapters beginning Chapter 00. All of these things mean I have to use another application to 'fix' the output file afterwards.

I've also had at least one instance where the resultant MKV file straight from a BluRay wouldn't play until I ran it through Matroska's mkclean utility to remux it. I shouldn't have to do that either.