MakeMKV and AC3

Everything related to MakeMKV
triptop

MakeMKV and AC3

Post by triptop »

Hi guys I think this program is really great, pitty you can't convert DTS audio into AC3, I've been searching this option in several programs, none does it well, I was very much hoping this one would be the one... maybe will be available in later versions?
And why you may ask? - simple: my multimedia player ( Samsung LE 37B651 USB 2.0 port) doesn't recognize DTS audio, only AC3 and since I had this non?-expected "freebee", I really wish I could avoid spending money in the PopcornHour gadget-
I hope the person who made the program read this,,,
thanks
triptop
Taddeusz

Re: MakeMKV and AC3

Post by Taddeusz »

The point of this program is to rip the movie into MKV without any loss in quality. By converting from one lossy format to another you are thereby reducing the quality. There are other programs you can find to convert the audio if you so wish. eac3to can do this for you with minimal hassle.
triptop

Post by triptop »

Taddeusz wrote:The point of this program is to rip the movie into MKV without any loss in quality. By converting from one lossy format to another you are thereby reducing the quality. There are other programs you can find to convert the audio if you so wish. eac3to can do this for you with minimal hassle.
Thanks for your input, but let me tell you I think you're not getting it quite right, if all I want is a lossless data compression file, I can simply copy the movie's m2ts file, to a hard drive (external or internal) and watch it. Popcorn hour is perfclty alright with that format and so is any computer (meanwhile I bouhgt the PopcornHour a-110).
Anyway, my question is: what do people want DTS MKV losseless files for?
You guys are planning watching them where? - in your computer??! or you have a HDMI out to plug the computer to the LCD *and* to a DTS home theatre system so that you can full benefit DTS sound quality?
Well I tryied that for a while with my Vaio laptop but I give it up, it's too much hassle, too much cables and no real "I'm watching a movie" feeling.
If you want all that then stick to "the real McCoy": Blu-Ray player and blu-ray discs.
Besides that, I wonder of all the people out there, with multimedia players who can't handle DTS, I'm thinking for instance in WD HD TV and others...
Also, I dare you to notice the diffence between a good rip made with HDconvertToX and a looseless m2ts file. If there is a difference, it's minimum, even connected to a full HD LCD.
All said and done, MakeMKV it's a good program, but still lacks many feautures to be worth while using it:
- subtitles doesn't work.
- changing chapters always give us that pixelazation effects for a couple of seconds.
- no DTS to AC3 conversion
Notice that I din't mention the lack of custom bit rate encode option, because that would takes us to a different level of application.

triptop
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

Different people have different needs. Some people run a media center software like SageTV and store many of their movies on the HTPC. They like to do it losslessly so that they can have the movie available without the possibility of damaging the original disc. Plus, storage is very cheap now that you can get a 1TB drive for under $100 US.

I personally only do this with DVD's. BD's are still too large for me to affordably store them losslessly. Plus, my current audio situation only allows me to have AC3 audio.
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

Hello triptop.
Your comment............Besides that, I wonder of all the people out there, with multimedia players who can't handle DTS, I'm thinking for instance in WD HD TV and others...

That WDTV Media Player will play back DVD and BD DTS Audio. Have you tried the Popcorn Audio Converter to make the AC3 from DTS? I agree, MakeMKV is great.... in that it decrypts most disks (how many Programs can easily do that?), if that is not enough, then it creates into a nearly universally accepted and very popular .mkv files. The WDTV and .mkv would make you think that they were made for each other. Then take the MakeMKV creations and easily do whatever your searches may find "out there" to modify them however you like. Have you tried MeGUI, as that maybe near the all-in-one program for your wants...except the easy decryption like MakeMKV. I agree with Taddeusz....different people have different needs....., so like the phrase says, "Different Strokes for different Folks".

Thanks Triptop for your comments, so good luck and just enjoy. :)
sleepydvdr

Post by sleepydvdr »

I just discovered this tool that seems quite easy to use:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DAudioK