Cost of MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
pansonsito

Cost of MakeMKV

Post by pansonsito »

So I like the app, I have tried the trial and would be willing to purchase however at $70 I can't justify. This single app costs as much as a legitimate Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition. It is clearly over priced for the value delivered.

So my question(s)... is the price truly accurate, I have paid $20-$30 apps with single functionality before. This seems high.

Are there any kind of discount codes that would bring the cost down to the $20-$30 (or less) range if the $70 price is accurate. If not I think as a (mostly) happy makeMKV user I will have to move elsewhere.

Looking for feedback

Cheers all
SamuriHL

Re: Cost of MakeMKV

Post by SamuriHL »

pansonsito wrote:So I like the app, I have tried the trial and would be willing to purchase however at $70 I can't justify.
Then, you can't justify it. That's a personal choice only you can decide.
pansonsito wrote:This single app costs as much as a legitimate Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition. It is clearly over priced for the value delivered.
That is a matter of opinion. Clearly not the opinion of the author who spends his time working on this product. Nor the opinion of those who have already bought and paid for it like myself.
pansonsito wrote: So my question(s)... is the price truly accurate, I have paid $20-$30 apps with single functionality before. This seems high.
No idea what the current price is. I paid 50 USD when I bought it quite a long time ago. Again, if that seems high, then it's a matter of opinion and you have to decide for yourself what you're willing to pay...or not.
pansonsito wrote: Are there any kind of discount codes that would bring the cost down to the $20-$30 (or less) range if the $70 price is accurate. If not I think as a (mostly) happy makeMKV user I will have to move elsewhere.
I've never seen a discount for MakeMKV. This is the price the author chooses to sell it at. This is one of those things where you either agree with the price and purchase it, or you don't. Good luck finding a comparable solution that provides all of the functionality that MakeMKV provides in the 20-30 USD range.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@pansonsito

Hi!
So my question(s)... is the price truly accurate, I have paid $20-$30 apps with single functionality before.

I'm guessing you're not actually familiar with the capabilities of MakeMKV, that include:

Direct conversion of copy protected DVDs to unprotected MKV
Direct conversion of movies on copy protected Blu-ray discs to unprotected MKV
Direct conversion of movies on copy protected HD-DVD discs to unprotected MKV
Full Disc unprotected (or protected) backups of Blu-ray discs
Direct streaming from original, commercial Blu-ray discs

captain

Post by captain »

Could you edit your post to say DRM-hobbled, instead of "protected", please? Protected sounds all warm and fuzzy, when really it's cold and nasty and gunks up the works. ;-)
setarip_old wrote:@pansonsito

Full Disc unprotected (or protected) backups of Blu-ray discs

trondmm

Post by trondmm »

captain wrote:Could you edit your post to say DRM-hobbled, instead of "protected", please?
Hobbled? I prefer "infested".
joe42

Post by joe42 »

pansonsito wrote:So I like the app, I have tried the trial and would be willing to purchase however at $70 I can't justify.
Where do you see $70? When I click on the buy now link from here,

http://www.makemkv.com/buy/

it says it is $50.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

The page for MakeMKV at VideoHelp lists it as $70.

SC
Sion28

Post by Sion28 »

Smithcraft wrote:The page for MakeMKV at VideoHelp lists it as $70.

SC
Well there you go. You just got a $20 discount.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

If I remember correctly, the pricing depends upon where the purchaser resides. In Great Britain and other countries. VAT (or similar value added tax) and currency exchange variances are added to the base $50 U.S. price...

goingbust

Post by goingbust »

Sion28 wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:The page for MakeMKV at VideoHelp lists it as $70.

SC
Well there you go. You just got a $20 discount.
The price is 50 euros so that is about $70. The OP is right on the price.

On the other hand, I just wanted to say that I think it is unfair to compare the cost of this to Office Home which sells millions of copies and expect that the "value" is going to be the same. It's niche software. That being said, this software has created more than enough value for me that I consider it to be a key piece of software for me besides Visual Studio, SQL Server Developer, Windows, Office, TurboTax, and Photoshop/Premiere Elements which is the sum total of the paid software I use other than a few games. (along with some non-paid software I find indespendible such as 7-zip and VLC).
twa000

Post by twa000 »

pansonsito wrote:So I like the app, I have tried the trial and would be willing to purchase however at $70 I can't justify. This single app costs as much as a legitimate Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition. It is clearly over priced for the value delivered.
l
I am not sure how you get $70, I cannot check without going through a USA proxy, but the European price is €50 (plus tax), so the US price must be around $50 plus tax.

Before I found Makemkv I had already bought 2 other packages (you couldn't trial them), which were buggy, lacked any support and one product cost more, so based on my experience Makemkv is a good solution and good value.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Since I registered last night, I can confirm that the US price is USD 50.00.
Payment Receipt from http://www.makemkv.com wrote:Product ID: 3562140
Product name: MakeMKV
Quantity: 1
Price/unit: 50.00 USD
Taxes (VAT): 0.00 USD
Total: 50.00 USD

------

Order subtotal: 50.00 USD
Shipping fees: 0.00 USD
Order total: 50.00 USD
SC
Bionic71

Post by Bionic71 »

It depends where you live, many online shops works this way.. Nero/Steam to mention some
---
The price for EU based customers = 59.50 EUR (VAT) = that's about $80

Understandably there are reactions, this is how the paymentsprocessor works. (I think it's crap to)

But..

By using a US VPN/Proxy, visit buyers page using an US IP-adress -> = $50
When your browser cookie is stored -> logout from VPN/Proxy & pay the $50 (using your own IP)
---
The $50 for MakeMKV is not very much & comparable to what?
Compared to some other vendor of videosoftware that frequently visit this forum spamming/promoting their own snakeoil which do not work or using ripped/stolen contents.
There's many shady videosoftware websites nowadays, whereas many affiliated with eachother, selling programs using different names/websites, most offered = Huge pile of junk!
---
This is a program that constantly needs monitoring & maintenance, MakeMKV is a one shot fee, have no dirty DRM, free upgrades + Mike Incl :wink:

$50 = Fair price..
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

As I said, since some have stated otherwise, the US price is $50 USD. I am aware that in other areas there are other taxes.

SC
joe42

Post by joe42 »

goingbust wrote: The price is 50 euros so that is about $70. The OP is right on the price.
No, the OP is wrong. The price is $50 USD. It may also be 60 Euros (after tax), but it is ridiculous to quote the Euro after tax price converted to dollars, when the actual US dollar price is $50.

And you can hardly blame MakeMKV for any taxes imposed by one's own country.