@mike admin Addition to methods of Full Disc Blu-ray backup

Everything related to MakeMKV
setarip_old

@mike admin Addition to methods of Full Disc Blu-ray backup

Post by setarip_old »

Unless I've fallen asleep at the wheel, there are two sources that can be used to perform a Full Disc Blu-ray backup using MakeMKV:

1) An actual Blu-ray disc

2) A mounted .ISO image file (Use an UNmounted .ISO image file, hard drive full Blu-ray "package", or actual Blu-ray disc, for individual file backups)

I would think that it may be relatively simple for mike admin to modify MakeMKV so that a Full Disc backup could also be made from a full Blu-ray "package" of files (containing "BDMV" folder and all of its subfolders and files and "Certificate" folder (and all of its contents) residing on one's hard drive.

Please advise.

setarip_old

Re: @mike admin Addition to methods of Full Disc Blu-ray bac

Post by setarip_old »

@mike admin

I've updated/modified my original post for the sake of clarity.

Please advise.

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This can be done but it's a bit tricky. Why would you need this?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Why would you need this?
Because there are times when I have/want to directly access the files (.MPLS, .M2TS, JAR contents, BDJO contents, etc.) that comprise a/some Blu-ray "packages", without having to first extract them from an .ISO image file.

I have no use or desire for .ISO image files...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

setarip_old wrote:
Why would you need this?
Because there are times when I have/want to directly access the files (.MPLS, .M2TS, JAR contents, BDJO contents, etc.) that comprise a/some Blu-ray "packages", without having to first extract them from an .ISO image file.
I have no use or desire for .ISO image files.
Oh, we're mis-communicating. I agree, unlike DVD, there is no single reason to use ISO images for blu-ray. My question was, why would you need to decrypt blu-ray files - your question assumes that somehow you've ended up with encrypted blu-ray filles on a hard drive - these are extremely rare.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

mike admin wrote:Oh, we're mis-communicating. I agree, unlike DVD, there is no single reason to use ISO images for blu-ray. My question was, why would you need to decrypt blu-ray files - your question assumes that somehow you've ended up with encrypted blu-ray filles on a hard drive - these are extremely rare.
This has happened to me when I forgot to click the decrpyt option (which leaves it off by default) and then ripped several blu-ray backups. I had posted earlier a request to decrypt encrypted blu-ray files as the only way to correct the the problem is to re-rip the original bluray. As this is several hours of computer time, it seems this would be a valuable option.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@mike admin
My question was, why would you need to decrypt blu-ray files - your question assumes that somehow you've ended up with encrypted blu-ray filles on a hard drive

No, actually I'm referring to ALREADY-DECRYPTED Full Disc backups I've made from my original, commercial Blu-ray discs that I have residing on my hard drive.

I am, at times, involved in legitimate projects that inevitably include repeated modifications to the Blu-ray file contents and eventually create a Full Disc backup and burning back to disc for either further testing or finalization.

trondmm

Post by trondmm »

setarip_old wrote:@mike admin
My question was, why would you need to decrypt blu-ray files - your question assumes that somehow you've ended up with encrypted blu-ray filles on a hard drive

No, actually I'm referring to ALREADY-DECRYPTED Full Disc backups I've made from my original, commercial Blu-ray discs that I have residing on my hard drive.

I am, at times, involved in legitimate projects that inevitably include repeated modifications to the Blu-ray file contents and eventually create a Full Disc backup and burning back to disc for either further testing or finalization.
I'm confused. Ripping from blurayfolder/BDMV/index.bdmv works like a charm. Are you asking for something different?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@trondmm
I'm confused. Ripping from blurayfolder/BDMV/index.bdmv works like a charm. Are you asking for something different?

If you re-read my posts addressed to "mike admin", you'll see that they refer to making "Full Disc" backups.

The methodology you described is used for making .MKVs of individual files, not backup/duplicate copies of FULL Blu-ray discs...

trondmm

Post by trondmm »

setarip_old wrote:The methodology you described is used for making .MKVs of individual files, not backup/duplicate copies of FULL Blu-ray discs...
Ah. Right. I thought it would be strange if you didn't know about this feature.

Still confused, though :)

If you have all the files, all decrypted, in a folder. Why would you want to use MakeMKV to make a full disc backup of it? Wouldn't you end up with exactly the same content? Couldn't you simply copy it?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@trondmm
If you have all the files, all decrypted, in a folder. Why would you want to use MakeMKV to make a full disc backup of it? Wouldn't you end up with exactly the same content? Couldn't you simply copy it?
I have several reasons, based on my personal needs.

For this thread, suffice it to say that MakeMKV is the speediest means of copying/making backup...